Thread: Xb12s Primary Chain Aduster bolt stripped

Hybrid View

Xb12s Primary Chain Aduster bolt stripped

Hey everyone! Sad thing happened today..
    I've tried to tighten the primary chain and the bolt stripped right away. Oil started leaking out of the adjuster bolt.
    Took primary cover off and found that the threads of the adjuster on the primary cover were stripped smooth. Probably previous owner had a cheap fix with some glue or something...
    I heard that it can be repaired with helicoil kit but it's a rare thing in where I live (Russia). I can order it on ebay but dont even know what size of helicoil kit I need (is it in inches?). Can someone help me or share a link to helicoil kit on ebay? Thanks!

Inactive
    a time-sert kit or helicoil kit will do the repair OR you can TIG weld the stripped material back into the hole and drill and re-tap the threads. THE TRICK with doing the primary chain adjustment is to achieve correct chain tension at room temp...then insert allen wrench into the threaded adjuster post to hold it securely in place......and then and only then tighten up the locking nut. very few do and they torque the hell out of the locking nut which at the same time is turning the threaded adjuster post and immediately strips out the aluminum threads.

i'll make you an offer: ship it to me and i'll heli-coil repair it and ship it back. NO charge to help you out...just pay return freight. downside is the cover weighs approx. 7 pounds as shipped as i recall and would cost about $80 via USPS priority air to return to you. OR i can ship you over a heli-coil kit as i keep them in stock for such repairs. they're reasonably priced. USPS first class air freight about $16.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 09-30-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Thats an amazing and generous offer Lunatic FTW!

I can mail you a heli-coil kit, but its probably also $80 shipping from the west coast of North America too!
    I also have a perfect primary and matching timing cover, freshly powdercoated if you'd rather go that direction.

I do not have any helpful buell parts, but will send you a case of American beer (of your choosing) for a liter of fine Russian vodka! nice ofyou fellas to help out!

John and Shaughn, don't know if Ajapai will take either of you up on it, but very generous offers! I've always appreciated how much you are both willing to help folks out on here!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    John and Shaughn, don't know if Ajapai will take either of you up on it, but very generous offers! I've always appreciated how much you are both willing to help folks out on here!
    thanks for the very kind words james. i felt sorry for the poor rusky but never heard back from him. typical for this site.