Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New guy, need help troubleshooting no start.

Thanks guys.

Lunatic, new NGK iridium plugs were properly gapped and installed less that 400 miles ago, shouldn't be the problem.

Carlos, I will clean the IAC this weekend and do a gas spray to double check and go from there. I may just pull the whole throttle body to do an ultrasonic clean on the injectors while I'm in there too. I completed a nose to tail re-grounding as per instructions on the site and have a full battery with good cranking.
    There was a little hesitation during my long ride at lower RPMs and light load but otherwise it ran fine, not as smooth as others I've seen but well enough.

I'll pull the fuel pump if I have to but that would probably be the end of my riding season, my wife has raised a few eyebrows at my decision to get a bike that "needs work". She wants to go on a few more rides with me before the snow falls.

Silver, with a picture like that use Tea bag all you like, it's more accurate and concise than dirty homeless shelter pillow.

When you bought the bike has it been sitting for a while ?? With fuel in tank ?

Not 100% sure, it is a possibility. I'll contact the seller and ask.

Ok
    If the injector cleaning doesn’t work I’d go with pulling the fuel pump. Changing out the fuel sock and filter is a good preventative measure on a ten year old bike.

Wife raising an eye brow?

This is what I tell my wife, “would you rather I spend time in the garage with my bike, or out at the bar with the fellas boozing?”

Pull the pump first thing in the morning and you’ll be riding to your favorite lunch spot!

I forgot to welcome you to the board, Lots of knowledge in this group especially John ^^^^^^^above, I would like to see a pic of that 08 .

Okay, update time.

Tried the ol' gas down the throat, hit the starter, it fired up and held idle until it ran out of fuel. SWEET it's a fuel issue.

Already had the fuel filter and screen on order and finally got time to pull the pump, this is what I found.
    IMG_4060.jpg

I pulled the e-clip and the screen fell apart once I slid the pump assembly off the base. The inline filter seals were dried and cracked once I tried to slide them off the old filter.

I used fuel rated hose to replace the cracked seals and installed the filter screen on the pump intake. Unfortunately the cross-referenced screen I received didn't fit the base very well, I had to lift and slightly rotate the pump to get the screen to fit.
    fullsizeoutput_446.jpg

Reassembled everything and it fired up faster than ever before and ran quite smooth during a test ride. HAPPY DAY.

Next day, my wife and I went for a couple rides to town and the bike ran very well, until it got a bit warm... similar poor idle with sputtering and afterfire mixed with what I felt was a very occasional backfire, I could hear it under my chin in the intake. I have new plugs to replace the ones with only 400 miles and also picked up a new Bosch O2 sensor, figured I'd change them out separately and see what changes.

Snow starts tomorrow, so my window is closing until storage.

Silver, a few pics for you.

My ride to work.
    IMG_4072.jpg

My ride at work.
    IMG_4073.jpg

Its surprising how the sunlight reveals all the blemishes, next on the list is a muffler upgrade in the spring.

Couldn't get the last one upright.

Glad you have the fuel issue fixed. Nice looking bike !!!!!!

Nice rides!

You'll find a service manual and diagnostic flow chart at Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com

If you want a better diagnostic tool that swapping parts randomly, I'd suggest ECMDroid. It's free on the google play store. You'll need to connect to the bike with a bluetooth dongle, I like the one I got from Buelltooth.com

Oh, and I like my stuff shiny. There are much better pro's on this site, but this works well for me!
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...cratch-removal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12