Thread: Losing power at 70mph

Losing power at 70mph

I have a 2009 blast and its giving me a problem that I can't figure out. It starts up and runs fine till I get it into 5th gear on the highway and after a few seconds it just starts to lose power. It feels like it is bogging down and jumping while i'm giving it full throttle. You can audibly hear it too. I let go of the throttle and it just dies but will start right back up if I get back on the gas or hit the ignition button. I just can't figure out the problem is. It seems like a carburetor problem but I can't figure it out. If needed I think I have a video of it doing this problem.

They go 70mph? JK

Sounds like the carb is running out of fuel. I'd look for a clogged filter.

This guy ^^^^^ smart and handsome!

Concur with Cooter...sounds like a fuel supply issue. The Blast's gas tank petcock has an internal filter already (unless you've done something to it). Most of us that have been running Blasts for a while actually get rid of the external filter altogether and install a clean run of new fuel hose straight from petcock to fuel inlet fitting on the carb.

How old is your gas - have you ever checked to see if the fuel has some 'stuff' in it on the bottom of the tank? The 'reserve' on the Blast fuel tank is literally just allowing the bottom 'layer' of fuel in the tank access to the carb fuel supply. Some bikes have quite the mess at the bottom of the tank (which could be impeding the internal filter in this case).

It's also easy to check the jets - in this case the main jet would be the possible culprit for being clogged. They're cheap to replace as well if you need to do that (unlikely, to be honest).

As everyone said above, sounds like fuel is not getting to your carb.