Thread: 06 Uly Fork Spring Upgrade question

06 Uly Fork Spring Upgrade question

Well, I've got a right fork seal leak on my 06 Uly. With the bike being 13 years old with 20K+ miles I've decided to do both fork seals and replace the fork oil. I have no knowledge from previous owner if any work has ever been done on the forks. I've been scouring the forums looking at how others have done it and have come across one comment on BWB that suggested using an 07 Uly fork progressive spring "due to it being better with brake dive due to the progressive spring". Has anyone ever done this on Buellxb? Worth the extra cost for new springs? Would it change my repair manual suspension settings for an 06 Uly? Any suggestions on the repair and parts are welcome as well. A guy I know has a gadget to compress the spring so I'm fortunate there.

Found this on a search, as per the lunatic, " HyperPro....RaceTech....Progressive all stock progressively wound springs vastly superior to the stockers. they all have websites as well. 2006 different than 07 and up so be sure to order correctly. "

Thanks Kenny, I checked out the websites. Looks like both places have the HyperPro springs. A quick look shows about 129 bucks for springs. Not sure if its worth it or not yet. I'll have to do some more research.
    I'll look up what stock 07 springs cost and try to see if it'd be a hassle dialing in the suspension settings. I was pretty happy with the repair manual settings according to my weight. Spot on per the book.

Inactive
    ward: the ulysses appeared in july/2005. there are a few 2005 model year ones out there but only a handful. accepted first year is 2006. the 05&06 have single rate showa fork springs....2007 and up have progressively wound showa springs. the 2007 spring is a better choice. keep in mind that both internal AIR as well as the spring determine the "spring rate" and that is why fork oil level should be accurately measured during assembly.
    unless a dealer somewhere is sitting on a set of them that hasn't entered PAA(parts availability access) into the computer system there are none left in stock. personally i'd shop with one of the sources i mentioned on kenny's copy and paste and buy what you need. better pricing than OEM and greater selection.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    ward: the ulysses appeared in july/2005. there are a few 2005 model year ones out there but only a handful. accepted first year is 2006. the 05&06 have single rate showa fork springs....2007 and up have progressively wound showa springs. the 2007 spring is a better choice. keep in mind that both internal AIR as well as the spring determine the "spring rate" and that is why fork oil level should be accurately measured during assembly.
    unless a dealer somewhere is sitting on a set of them that hasn't entered PAA(parts availability access) into the computer system there are none left in stock. personally i'd shop with one of the sources i mentioned on kenny's copy and paste and buy what you need. better pricing than OEM and greater selection.
    Thanks for the info. From a little bit of research on some really old forum posts, the newer 07 forks are like you said, progressive, and were changed in 07 to improve on-road handling. I thought maybe I could dial up St Paul and order a couple 07 and up stockers and try them out figuring they'd be a cheap upgrade....but it's not a cheap upgrade. Thanks for the none in stock info. After looking at the online sources I've found that they're quite expensive, $129 to $249 for a set. I have no complaints on the 06's handling at that price, but I did learn a couple of things. Thanks.
    Wish me luck on the Fork rebuild. Uncharted territory for me. I've got a few things to fix before I get to the forks. I just traded my Hawk muffler for a Race exhaust. I'll change that out and then will need ECM reprogram, got a new clutch cable on order due to a worn and now leaky cable and I'm troubleshooting a rear break light that I've ignored for a year or two. Bike is overdue for an in-depth deep cleaning too. All fun stuff.

You can do it, just getter done !
    Clean it, no one will recognize it, you'll have everyone thinking you bought a new bike, just kidding !
    I plan on doing some stuff to my Buells too, like the fork oil and check all the wiring and installing some extra grounds where called for. In the mean time the Trumpet will get all the milage while I work on the Buellys .

Hear ya Kenny. To go along with the cleaning I've had my yellow seat re-upholstered to all black and changed my airbox from yellow to black. I think I'll put some pegasus stickers on the airbox too. I got sick of the yellow color and I have to say it doesn't look half bad.
    So, like you I'm riding my other bike, (17 Road Glide Ultra), in the meantime. 916 lbs, LOL. I can't look at my Uly, even taken apart, without feeling like going on another long, long ride though. Gets my blood pumping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ins9E87BeRk