Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to Buell, this time a Uly but which one?

Back to Buell, this time a Uly but which one?

Hi Guys,
    I have been away for several years after i sold my STT.
    The reason i sold it was the comfort on long trips (more the lack of it) and the fan that after 5 minutes of riding will start and never stop even on the high way with cold temperatures (i never mange to fix it)
    STT1.jpg

Now i am looking to enjoy a Buell (EU version) but with more comfort, my questions are:
    1. Which Uly to get, pre or post 2008?
    2. If Post 2008 is it true fuel consumption on the DDFI3 is much worse?
    What should i expect?
    3. Is the fan works all the time on the Uly?

Inactive
    Which Uly to get, pre or post 2008
    2008-2010 are excellent with updates to the charging system....oiling system....wiring....EFI system.....crankshaft main rod pin...and a few other things i'm probably forgetting. having said that of the 12 or so ulys i've owned at least 6 were 2005-2007 models and never had a single problem with any of them.

If Post 2008 is it true fuel consumption on the DDFI3 is much worse
    NO

What should i expect?
    every year uly i've ever owned returned on average 43-52MPG when ridden sensibly. they're all a bit "thirsty" at sustained highway cruising speeds of 75mph or higher. rotten aerodynamics.

Is the fan works all the time on the Uly

NO..........unless someone has dicked with the ECM factory settings.

to add to Johns list of post 2008 updates: The X model received larger diameter forks and I higher degree steering movement from lock to lock. Those are pretty minor updates, but could come in handy if you're planning any "off road" riding. The 2008 + XT model came with 1" lower suspension, factory side and top cases, and a front fender robbed from a Lightning. My opinion, for the typical use of a Ulysses I would look for the newest, reasonably low mile, XT (touring) Ulysses you can find. Should be a few 2008/2009 XT's in good shape around.

I have had a 2008 XT for two years. It has a full sized windscreen, really doesn't help with the aerodynamics. I get mid 40MPG keeping the speed reasonable. The XT has all of the touring goodies and a lower seat height. The suspension is road tuned. It's a sport/adventure machine with absolutely ZERO off road capabilities. That suits me perfectly! How many fully loaded adventure bikes do you know of that let you scrub the chicken strips off? I find it a very stable platform, extremely confident bike in wet conditions. For some reason every time I tour it rains :-(

Will go with the X and not with XT since there are only few out there (Germany) with ridicules prices, dont know why XT owners sell them in a price i can get a new Ducati monster.
    There are several low mileage X's with not more than 15,000 km (German's like to look at the bikes more than riding them).

Any thoughts about the XP (police model)?

You will enjoy either one, they are great for touring and handle very well, just make sure you get the right tires for the weather in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Will go with the X and not with XT since there are only few out there (Germany) with ridicules prices, dont know why XT owners sell them in a price i can get a new Ducati monster.
    There are several low mileage X's with not more than 15,000 km (German's like to look at the bikes more than riding them).

Any thoughts about the XP (police model)?
    If you can get ahold of a xp, get one. Basically an x, but the added rarity is pretty cool. And they came with the"outdoorsman" cases that I had on my x. No painted parts to scratch up! 20180701_145303.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    If you can get ahold of a xp, get one. Basically an x, but the added rarity is pretty cool. And they came with the"outdoorsman" cases that I had on my x. No painted parts to scratch up! 20180701_145303.jpg

I have a 2009 xt model with bags and I find it a great highway bike. Very comfortable , fast and good gas mileage. I have no experience with any older models as this is my first Buell but am quite pleased with my purchase. I heat wrapped the pipes , attached a sheet of corrugated plastic to the bottom of the seat and added a wrapped 5x10 piece of insulation to the right side of the gas tank/frame to deal with the heat issue on my inner thigh.

When the rear tire needs replacing I will switch it out to a 170/60 , did this on my 2002 Guzzi Lemans and it really improved the handling . I specifically looked for a newer model 2008 and up that was unmodified in any way and had been regularly serviced . It may be classed as a dual sport but it's not an off-road bike in my opinion but that's not what I was looking for. Anything more than a hard packed gravel road was a little too squirrely for my skill level , perhaps a narrower rear tire may help that. The long travel suspension translates to a comfy ride and that was part of what I was looking for. 5th gear is just OD for the highway, it's quite happy in 4th. A 3"extension attached to the windscreen took care of the helmet buffeting for a 5" 9" rider and wings attached to the forks made it a much smoother ride but exacerbated the engine heat issue so I removed them .

I like the bike as it is unique and help is available here and from some dealers . Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by BuellyBagger View Post
    to add to Johns list of post 2008 updates: The X model received larger diameter forks and I higher degree steering movement from lock to lock. Those are pretty minor updates, but could come in handy if you're planning any "off road" riding. The 2008 + XT model came with 1" lower suspension, factory side and top cases, and a front fender robbed from a Lightning. My opinion, for the typical use of a Ulysses I would look for the newest, reasonably low mile, XT (touring) Ulysses you can find. Should be a few 2008/2009 XT's in good shape around.
    I've been exasperating the folks here (and EBR) with stupid questions trying to find out what I want. No, I didn't expect you to know but maybe help me decide. Seems like Mr. Bagger knew all along. I'm older than most of you and I don't expect to be doing any more track days. I'm not really ashamed of my chicken strips. I'll depress my superstitions here and say that I've never been down (except once; details on request) but I do love speed and acceleration. Ah, but yes... I'm old. I am getting to like comfort. I'll be looking for an XT, hopefully 08/09 in good shape but not too expensive.

How tall are you ? Bob? With a Uly a little height is better. I know you from the EBR board.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast