Thread: Indian ftr1200

Inactive

Indian ftr1200

at Hernley's yesterday getting a recall done on my SlingShot and got an up-close & personal look and quick ride on the new Indian FTR1200 which generated alot of chatter on this site a few months back. God bless Polaris and H-D as well. two great American icons. my take-away from a quick 2 mile spin up the road and back was: very comfy....great ergonomics...silky smooth motor...perfect fueling in stock trim...exhaust "note" very pleasant....tail piece containing plate holder/light/reflector a tad ungainly....light and extremely nimble....exhaust system a bit disappointing as i was anticipating more of an up-swept "tracker" style stock system....base model in black only @ $12,999 priced competitively. the fit-and-finish was gorgeous. one quick twist of the throttle lets you know this hooligan certainly has 120HP as advertised in stock trim.
    flip side of the coin is that IMO and my opinion only my XR1200 subjectively looks as nice...provides same level of comfort...comparable performance with exhaust and "tune" done....for 1/2 the buy-in price. but then again it's used, 8 years old, and no factory warranty. i believe if the dealers don't get greedy with mark-ups and freight/set-up/documentation fee shenanigans it will sell like the proverbial hotcakes. time will tell.

ftr.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-03-2018 at 02:36 PM.

I was reading about this bike yesterday online, I will take a demo ride when one comes available. I agree, they should have put the up swept exhaust on it and done away with that ugly tail piece, 120 ponies is very respectable.

That tailsection makes me think of my butchered unit!
    Bike looks very Ducati monster like.
    I’ll have to look up some specs, because that thing looks very interesting.

I agree that the rear mud guard is unsightly!

where are your pictures? I was under the impression that they didn't have any at dealers until this spring. Only media outlets got them to ride.

I could see myself getting one of these. But it'll be a few years so I can snatch up a deal on a used one, hopefully with a 'free' $1200 exhaust on it.

Super excited about these, hope they're a great bike and have the added effect of spurring harley to make their new models even better! Thanks for posting John!
    How's the slingshot so far?

Screenshot_2018-10-03-18-13-01.jpg This is one pic in a series of pics that I had seen recently. This is what I was expecting, but with a lil fab work and new exhaust it can surely look like this which is waaaaaaaaaay more appealing to me. I'm on board with Carlos, very Duc looking in the pic John posted. Regardless, I'm super stoked about the machine, but will also hold off for a used one. The bike in the pic John posted seems to have diff wheels, frame, and swingarm and I'm not really fond of it compared to the pic I posted.
    Last edited by wickedchop; 10-03-2018 at 10:34 PM.

Just watched a video on this bike did y'all know that it's not just a 1200cc engine it's actually 1203 cc ummmm anyone else have a light bulb turn on?

John...awesome you got to have a preview ride already! Thanks for the initial thoughts! I agree with you about the exhaust and the tail piece. Unfortunately, both of those seem to be pretty par for the course nowadays. They pretty much automatically add a couple of thousand dollars to the price of the bike to tidy the tail and get a nicer looking and sounding exhaust. That said, this is definitely one of the coolest looking bikes I've seen in a while. Seems like the "S" version might be worth the extra bucks for the better brakes, suspension, and color schemes. Here's a first ride review:

https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-indi...MPID=ene100218

Quote Originally Posted by submax View Post
    John...awesome you got to have a preview ride already! Thanks for the initial thoughts! I agree with you about the exhaust and the tail piece. Unfortunately, both of those seem to be pretty par for the course nowadays. They pretty much automatically add a couple of thousand dollars to the price of the bike to tidy the tail and get a nicer looking and sounding exhaust. That said, this is definitely one of the coolest looking bikes I've seen in a while. Seems like the "S" version might be worth the extra bucks for the better brakes, suspension, and color schemes. Here's a first ride review:

https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-indi...MPID=ene100218
    Nice looking machine. And they have nice options in their configurator - for example flat tracker or touring saddle along with two different slip-on options. They also offer a high license plate mount (yes, about 2k extra).

1542489220974-productstill.jpg

1542488108640-productstill.jpg