Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: werid shudder that i can't seem to put my finger on

me and the old man have been brainstorming ideas and we are wondering if the centre of the wheel is sealed. when the wheel gets warm, as it cools it's drawing moisture through the bearing seals.

Reason for this thought is the bearing spacer had a brown rusty colour tinge on its surface.I can't remember seeing any vents/holes in the wheel hub.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    me and the old man have been brainstorming ideas and we are wondering if the centre of the wheel is sealed.
    NO

as it cools it's drawing moisture through the bearing seals
    NO

minute traces of water/moisture work its way into the hollow center portion of every motorcycle wheel i've ever seen whether spoked hub or cast center hub. it's called "wicking" and it's the clearance between the inner bearing races and the axle that allow it. continual riding in heavy rain or pressure washing the bike exacerbates the situation....hence your tarnished/corroded axle.
    bearing in mind, I own 30 motorcycles of various years, i have never had a bike that chews through wheel bearings like the buell. I have also not seen any vent holes or anything in the buell wheel.

someone else has similar idea. http://www.badweatherbikers.com/cgib...8&post=2338530

IMG_20181229_092148.jpg
    IMG_20181229_092123_3CS.jpg
    My bearings

I am getting to the point of making a new rear wheel to take better bearings.
    Last edited by fattyJr; 12-29-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Bearing in mind?lol... is it possible your buell is living a harsher life than the rest of your bikes? If you're taking it in the mud, riding in crap weather, winter? And generally beating the snot out of it, I'd expect it to eat bearings. I changed my bearings every time I needed tires(about 5-6k miles) there was never anything wrong with then, but the wheels were already off and they're relatively cheap. Maybe you could pull the grease seals and pack a bit of extra fresh grease in them every so often to improve their longevity? Either way it seems your bike is a special case as I've never heard anyone with such a complaint over bearing life

I have various styles of bikes including supermoto's, motorcross and touring bikes. The big triumph trophy bikes are heavier and faster than the buell and don't chew bearings. (get ridden in same weather as buell)

the supermoto/motorcross bikes (CCM r30, husqvarna 610, husqvarna 500cr air and water cooled) are lighter but get jumped and generally thrown about more than the buell, yet don't chew bearings.

As for mine being a special case, I would suggest a quick search on here as there has been plenty of reports of them failing.

Dude..... teabag???? Is that you?

Very, very, very nice ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.

The one thing you haven’t mentioned checking is the swingarm pivot bolt. If the pivot bolt is slightly bent, or the corresponding bushings/bearings that handle the alignment of said bolt and singarm combo are worn out, that could be causing excess stress on your rear wheel bearings.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 01-02-2019 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fattyJr View Post
    I have various styles of bikes including supermoto's, motorcross and touring bikes. The big triumph trophy bikes are heavier and faster than the buell and don't chew bearings. (get ridden in same weather as buell)

the supermoto/motorcross bikes (CCM r30, husqvarna 610, husqvarna 500cr air and water cooled) are lighter but get jumped and generally thrown about more than the buell, yet don't chew bearings.

As for mine being a special case, I would suggest a quick search on here as there has been plenty of reports of them failing.
    Alright I get it, you've got more bikes than I've got hammers... how many miles are generally on them when they fail? And yes I understand that uly's with the 2 bearing wheel seem to be a bit more likely to have bearing failures.

Bearings Ya. Been there. More than once, and always inconvenient to say the least.

Building a wheel?! from scratch?! Not the 'solution' I saw coming...

FYI, twice now I have found the cause to be an aluminum bearing spacer to be squished out of spec (from an aggressive PO over torquing, I believe). It doesn't take much to side load the roller bearings to a quick death. They aren't tapered rollers and non-mechanics get freaky about over tightening axles like they do with drain plugs It's a cheap part if you don't want to bother to measure it.

Wow, there is some memory lane right there, Coot.

The pathetic part is that is the last time I was out

Opto

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast