Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: werid shudder that i can't seem to put my finger on

werid shudder that i can't seem to put my finger on

Been using my uly as my daily rider. just had a werid shudder happen today that I can't put my finger on. I'm not sure if it's the clutch slipping and grabbing causing the rear wheel to jump/hop about or if it's the rear shock thats not happy. It's happened when i pulled out of a side street and started to accelerate. not sure which way to go. felt like someone shoved a jack hammer under seat.

If I decide to go down the clutch route, i'm looking at £210 for a alto carbonite kit plus £40 for the the clutch tool. If its the shock, i'm looking around £400 if memory is correct.

has anyone else had a similar feeling?

Check the belt for missing teeth stripped off of it.

How many miles on your bike and what modifications have been done to it?
    Before buying any NEW parts I’d insure that the primary chain and clutch are adjusted correctly.
    If those check out then I’d inspect the pulleys, drive belt and rear wheel bearings.
    After all those checks then I’d start to inspect the shock to see if there’s any visible fluid leaks or anything obviously wrong with it.

Report back your findings

Been busy, bike is at 34,000 miles. i'm putting about 300 miles a week on it.

It's a werid one as it doesn't happen all the time. Rear wheel bearings are relatively new, belt is about 6 months old. Free spirits tensioner is newish as the old one decided to fly apart. pulleys are ok, can see where belt has been running, but not worn into it (if that makes sense)

I have been tossing th idea in my head between shock or clutch. I am leaning more towards clutch slipping as the bike is riding nice suspension wise. I'm currently pricing up parts to see worst case.
    Last edited by fattyJr; 10-12-2018 at 03:11 PM.

From reading your past posts, I also think that you have something going on with the rear wheel and or rear drive line, something is either worn beyond specs. or not installed correctly.

Hello, I had this same issue a couple of weeks ago. My solution was new front and rear motor mounts, clutch pack adjust, re-pack wheel bearings, and belt pulley bearings, new clutch cable, and now it is Golden. Also adjusted to primary chain.
    Last edited by Tbone; 10-24-2018 at 03:41 PM.

well, little feedback. PO had installed a free spirits tensioner. Well it sheared the main bracket where the pivot bolt is for the wheel mount. I chucked the stock tensioner on with a replacement wheel and it's not shuddered one bit since.

I have checked everything else out as suggested and everything it bang on spec. so will keep you posted.

Good job !

more follow up.

finished work for christmas on 21th dec. rode bike home and felt/heard vibrations on the arse end. had a look around and found drive side wheel bearing had let go. By looks of it, yet again water ingress seems to be fooking up the bearings. I have tried skf bearings as well as cheaper bearings and they all fail with water ingress.

At least I found a quicker way to remove them. Grab a plain washer for m16 bolts and tig weld it into the centre of one of the bearings. Long bar through from otherside and one strike with BFH. Bearing out in 2 mins. spacer out, bar from other side and BFH. Clean up and press new ones in. Rebuild, job done.

28th dec, Went out for a ride and my gut feeling was giving me a funny feeling. Decided to have a looksee around bike and noticed a mark on the shocker to swingarm mount. Decided to pull shocker to check. Good job i did as the fork was fractured to the point where it broke when i pressed on it

Lucky for me, I had picked up a brand new hagon stainless monoshock off a zzr600 CHEAP. eye to eye is same as buell, but the fork is sightly wider than the buell. Not a problem as I machined up two little top hat bushes to fit. Springing is slightly heavier than the stock xbx according to what i have read.

unit is installed and will test ride tomorrow.

That's weird to be chewing through bearings like that, combined with the cracked suspension, and the other issues you are having, I would suspect that the geometry of your bike is off and forces are being applied unevenly as a result. If not you, then PO has heavily molested/damaged the machine at some point in its life.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast