Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel pump noise ?

fuel pump noise ?

Just got my 2003 XB9R and ecmspy. I was just playing around with it and ran the fuel pump activation....wow was that thing loud. Is it just that it maxes out the
    pump voltage or is my fuel pump getting ready to check out?

It is supposed to be one of the sounds that means it might be on the way out.

Inactive
    you posted this identical question in BUELL PARTS section as well. why did you do that????????????

your pump is shot. period! it's almost 16 years old. are you surprised?
    with key to ON and red run switch to ON you should hear it prime the system then stop till start is achieved. any other associated pump noises unacceptable and signify a pump unit problem.
    a healthy pump assembly emits a pleasant and fairly quiet "purr" or "whirr" for a second or 2 till prime achieved. best way i can describe it. and PLEASE don't flood this thread or your other one with endless exhausting "pump" questions. midget has provided an excellent R&R vid....steve an excellent R&R write-up with pics....and i have provided all the parts numbers/tricks/cross-over references and "how to" info. all needed info on this site.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-06-2018 at 02:18 PM.

19 years out of a fuel pump, that' s pretty good.

I followed L.F.'s advice and replaced mine last summer. If you do your own wrenching its not all that bad money-wise. You can purchase the housing seals and level sensor from L.F., (they should also be replaced while the pump assembly is out of the bike).

I did a fuel swap some years ago. Easy as pie, and I am no mechanic. Having a method of suspending your bike off the ground is the key.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ETZfZh...ature=youtu.be

Is ^ this the same thing, a fuel pump on its way out?

When the plastic hose going from my fuel pump to my fuel regulator sprung two leaks my pump became loud. It was trying to pressurize the line and was working overtime. As soon as I replaced the hose and the line was able to pressurize properly, my stock pump went back to being quiet. 55,000 miles on it so far. So before you change out the pump itself, I would check to see if that plastic hose has any holes in it. Pull the pump assembly out, and dip the pump and hose into the bucket of gas that you drain from the tank to get to the pump. When you lift the pump assembly out of the bucket, if there is a leak in the hose, it will squirt out of the hose in a stream. The hose is cheap, and Jacob Stark has more durable hoses to replace the stock one. Here is a video on a simple way of removing the pump assembly yourself:
    Last edited by ocgreenmachine; 12-21-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Is my fuel pump necessarily bad or just loud? The previous owner claims no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by XB9-Vtwin View Post
    Is my fuel pump necessarily bad or just loud? The previous owner claims no problems.
    Read the post directly above yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast