Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible new owner, XB9R questions abound!

Possible new owner, XB9R questions abound!

Hello all,

I'd appreciate some patience from the veteran members, as I am as new as you can get when it comes to Buells.

I used to ride dirt and supermoto bikes, my last being a DRZ400SM, (well, it was its bastard cousin the Kawasaki KLX400 that I converted to supermoto.) I sold my last bike to buy a toolbox for my new job, and the itch is back and I have settled into my new gig and have some saved up to get another bike.

I have no experience on a street bike other than about 100 miles or so riding my friends bandits, FZRs, ect.

I am wanting to get a bike that I can commute on and enjoy on the weekends. My commute is 35 miles pure highway, so 70+ the entire way with only a few stops at lights. I have always been interested in a Buell, the quirkyness is definitely something that appeals to me. I love the sound and the looks, and don't need a rocketship liter bike. I ride casually, and never at the limit.

Would a XB9R be a decent bike for my needs? Reliability and comfort are my main goals, and I don't know enough about them to know if that is something the Buell can fill.

The bike that piqued my interest is a 2003 with 20,000 miles on it. What are things I should be looking for a wary of on the test ride and inspection?

Here is the bike in question.
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy...727661277.html

Any tips or tricks for the bike would be appreciated!

Here is a picture of my last bike for the hell of it.

i forgot to add that I am pretty tall. 6'4", 190 pounds. tall and skinny. how are the ergonomics for a 30 to 40 minute ride on the highway for a commute and a weekend cruise every now and again?

ask how many owners , maintenance records , history, look for oil leaks around rear rocker box, look at the oil in swing arm. if there are no motor issues, IMO

more in details link
    http://buellmods.com/

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...B-Buyers-Guide
    Last edited by Silverrider; 10-21-2018 at 11:34 PM.

The KLX looks to be a lightweight hooligan bike. Add 100+ lbs and a few hp/tq numbers to it and you end up with a decent bike. I'd have probably kept the KLX if you were comfy on it though. Price is good on the xb9, so win/win there.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    ask how many owners , maintenance records , history, look for oil leaks around rear rocker box, look at the oil in swing arm. if there are no motor issues, IMO

more in details link
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...B-Buyers-Guide
    thank you for the link, much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    The KLX looks to be a lightweight hooligan bike. Add 100+ lbs and a few hp/tq numbers to it and you end up with a decent bike. I'd have probably kept the KLX if you were comfy on it though. Price is good on the xb9, so win/win there.
    i sold the KLX to buy a new toolbox and help cover some of the costs for moving for the new job. the main problem with the KLX was highway riding. it was screaming at 80MPH. there is no way I could have comfortably commuted on it.

Anything over a SV650 would accomplish this goal, but an xb9 will definitely do the job. Might be a little excited at 70+ mph, but it will get it done.

I had a drz400 and yes they are buzzing hard at 80. I'm 6'1 (without the afro) 210lbs. My 03 firebolts feel a little small under me, I added some adjustable pegs and that helped a bit. You have to ride the bike to make your decision, I'm afraid at 6'4" it's not gonna be for you. My bolts feel fine and very stable at a bit above 100mph but I can't stay there long tucked in at 6'1" , my ass is up on the rear seat gunfighter cover edge pretty much. That's a really nice looking machine at a good price, go take it for a ride and report back. Good luck

received a reply from the seller. what do you all think?

Engine crank bearing was noted to be bad and was changed out by RC cycles. Screaming eagle HP lifters installed at Harley Davidson. Jardine exhaust. Oil changes done every 1,500 miles. Race ecm installed by HD. When I bought the bike the paint wasn't in great shape so I had it professionally painted with 3 stage epoxy satin black paint. Bike is in great shape. I am the 3rd owner. All work noted was done under my ownership. Bike has a clean title, never raced nor down. Selling bc I don't ride it enough to justify keeping it.

also, another generalized question. is there a Buell out there that would be better suited for someone my height? Perhaps an XB12 or something? Obviously I need to get on one and feel, but just curious about the seasoned veterans opinions.

Many thanks thusfar, the information has been great.

Uly , Stt will fit you better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast