Thread: Relay block teardown

Relay block teardown

Has anyone done a write up on how to teardown and clean the relay block.

I just had the top left relay burn the center pin and melt the housing a little.

I know I need to clean the females with emery cloth; just don't know how to get into it.

What else should I be looking for.

05' 12R
    Mods
    K&N high flow
    heated grips (wired into low beam to shut off when bike does)

I doubt the low beam circuit has enough room to add huge additional load like heated grips and possibly why the relay terminals are smoked. Use a pin to release the terminals from the block to clean them.

Lightnings and Ulys have the auxiliary wire meant for the grips under the dash, I dunno if your ' Bolt does. I'd suggest powering them with a regular waterproof Bosch 20/30a relay and use the low beam circuit to trigger that relay. It only uses 500mA of the low beam circuit that way.
    Terminals:
    30- battery (+) through a fuse at the battery.
    87- Grips (+)
    85- ground
    86-low beam wire

Inactive
    aye aye aye!
    BikeMaster brand the most popular aftermarket heated grips in the US. on high they draw 2.5 amps. have installed probably 30 sets on assorted buells thru the years and always wired to either accessory plug found in the headlight bucket area of most XB's.....or to ORANGE headlight circuit feed wire with NO problems ever. never used a relay.....but be my guest. can't find schematic for firebolt headlight wiring plug but ALL other XB models have black/orange/white/yellow wires for headlight harness plug.

Has anyone done a write up on how to teardown and clean the relay block.
    i did.

relays hot to touch? melting fuse box? all caused by insufficient relay-to-fusebox spade connections. here--------------

box1.jpg1. Remove the battery connections.
    2. Apply gentle upwards force on the fuse/relay block and release the two plastic tabs circled - move them toward the L/H side of the bike.

box2.jpgWith the fuse/relay block lifted up you can see the two plastic tabs.

box3.jpg Remove the bottom cover by unclipping the 4 small tabs (2 on each side) visible in this photo.

box5.jpgRemove the relays and then the red plastic section - carefully pry it up with the small screwdriver.

boxr.jpgTo remove a female socket you need to lightly depress the plastic latch that is easily seen from the top and with draw the socket by pulling gently on its respective wire/s from the rear.

IMPORTANT!!! REMOVE ONE FEMALE SPADE SOCKET AT A TIME. THEY MUST BE RETURNED TO IDENTICAL HOLDER IN IDENTICAL POSITION. DUE NOT FORCE. USE COMMON SENSE!
    USE PENETRANT LIKE AERO OR KANO KROIL AND TOOTHBRUSH STYLE WIRE BRUSH TO CLEAN EACH FEMALE SOCKET. TEDIOUS BUT WORKS LIKE A CHARM.
    SAMPLE PICS FROM 2006 XB ULYSSES.
    YOU'RE WELCOME.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 10-25-2018 at 02:21 PM.

I’m with lunatic on this one.
    My heated grips have been wired to the orange headlight wire for over 7years or so. NO ISSUES.

Only things I have wired to relays are my mlock ignition and my combination USB charger/voltmeter.

If you need a new relay block for your xb12r I have one. It’s off my 2007 bolt. I believe it should work for your 05.
    Send me a PM if you’re interested.

Thanks Lunatic for the super detailed write up of the fuse box dis-assembly with pics. Good job!
    IMO, You may want to use the CRC electronic cleaner to clean the electrical terminals, instead of regular penetrant though. I don't know if penetrant is conductive or leaves any residue on the terminals, but the CRC is specifically meant for exactly that job. FWIW.

I'm surprised the heated grips only pull 2.5 amps! Learned something new! I never looked but when mine came with 12 gauge wire I assumed they needed that size and was hesitant to crimp them on the tiny 18 ga headlight wire. I was afraid if it blew that circuit, I'd lose the headlight Good to know you can get away with doing it that way too.

firebolt wiring.jpg

You suggest that I splice directly into the highlighted wire, does this still run on the same circuit and relay?

add relay drawing.jpg

I had some time and found a drawing of the starting circuit.

Indicated in the highlighted portion is what I could add, I believe this could be viable way to add a relay to create an ACC circuit on the R.

I in turn can use this to power the grips I have installed.

What are your thoughts?

No highlight versionadd relay drawing no highlight.jpg