Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whirring from primary with clutch released

Whirring from primary with clutch released

Noticed a whirring noise when the bike is in neutral and the clutch released. It dies down pulling the lever in. Not liking it but that sounds like a tranny issue? Haven't had the primary off. Just dida chain and clutch adjust.

039R

Sounds like the issue is in your clutch assembly. Probably a bearing on its way out.
    Or could even be as simple as improper fluid level.
    As long as you’ve adjusted the clutch correctly, then the next place to look is inside the primary. I’d focus on the clutch assembly since the noise changes with engagement/disengagement of the clutch.
    I highly doubt the issue is in the transmission.

Thanks, The sound reminded me of a throw out bearing going out.

There is a throw out bearing but rare to fail. A whirring noise is usually a primary chain thats too tight or bad transmission input shaft bearing.

I did adjust the primary but running it till warm then with the bike idilkng I turned the adjuster till I could hear a whine start. Then backed it down till it stopped.

Can the input bearing be replaced from the primary area?

Question, did this start occurring after doing a clutch adjustment at the inspection cover? Wondering if your diaphragm spring popped off the lock plate for your clutch adjuster.

No. I did the adjustment due to the noise. Looking at the manual, it could be the clutch shell bearing.

Open the primary and inspect clutch/primary components before you buy any parts.
    My 2cents

Woke the 'Bolt up from hibernation. On the last ride, heard my fan belt start squealing. I would have loved to seen the look on my face when I heard that. Seriously sounded like a fan belt. Clutch isn't disengaging. Well It has the appearance of not disengaging. I believe the bearing is going out and causing the basket to want to turn causing the bike to creep. Even does this in neutral.

I saw a thread about locating the little bearing inside. From what I recall it was kind of a pain to locate a source at first. Also I need to gather the tools needed to disassemble the clutch. Experts wanna chime in? Time to break out the manual. Is it worth swapping the clutch while its apart if there is no slipping?

OF course the EBR is still in pieces. I'm dying to get riding again. Hoping the EBR was running in a month and that the XB would make it. doh!

After rereading my post, its a different whirring then the chain. I adjusted the primary using the "loosen till the sound stops" method. This is bearing rumble.
    Last edited by rb70383; 03-20-2019 at 09:10 AM.

How the hell do you get the clutch pack snap ring back in? The spring is probably compressed too far and the ring won’t go in with the spring seat in the way.

Tore into the clutch to look for the squealing sound. Of course nothing obviously was found. Can anyone see anything wrong as to what could cause a squealing sound, and the snag ring not going back in? I’m stumped. Going to reassemble…pending the snap ring debacle.

Also 3 of the springs on the flywheel? Are loose. Don’t appear to be broken just loose in their pockets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast