Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Repair

Hello, Buellers.
    After waiting many years for the right opportunity, I am now a proud owner of a 2006 XB12R. She's a beauty, but she came with a nice parting gift. When shifting into 2nd gear, as I slowing release the clutch, the gear doesn't engage. (like it's still in neutral, but it's not) Then if I rev it up it will jerk forward and catch into gear. Bad, I know, I'm not driving it anymore until I fix it. Also while it's in 2nd, the gears locks up and prevents me from shifting into another gear. That is until it re-engages gear. I've spent the last week reading every other thread I could find with related tranny symptoms and from my research, it sounds like it's my shift fork (part# 34157-06). I've already ordered it along with landing some other used transmission parts including a shift drum (see part pic).

So I wanted to ask you kind sir's if one of you wouldn't mind uploading the transmission disassembly steps from the '06 service manual. I've downloaded the provided '05 manual but I understand that has an older transmission as it was updated to the helical-cut from '06 on. (does that even matter?)

From your experience, what special tools do I need, if any?

Plus any helpful advice and tips would be very appreciated!
    Thanks

The procedure is basically the same between the years, removing the rear engine isolator from the engine gonna be a pain without a very short 1/4" allen. You will also need the transmission assembly pressed out and back in with new bearings if you see any problems. Be very very clear about putting your cam shafts back in the correct spots maybe take a before and after pic of the marks to compare. Actually splitting and mating the cases can be a pain also, dont use a screw driver to pry anything, use a non-scoring wedge. Good luck!!!

I DREAD the day when I have to dig into the transmission on my XB .... My S1 is gonna be a snap by comparison ... taking away that trapdoor was a terribly idea maintenance-wise ...

I had Really Really similar issues a couple weeks ago.

It seemed like my clutch cable was getting lose on a my way home from a 3hr ride, hard shifting, clutch not fully disengaging. When I got home I pulled my clutch cable adjustment cover? and adjusted the clutch, took it for a spin around the block and all seemed well.

Went for a ride a couple days later and after a few miles I was getting similar issues to the ones youve described.

When shifting up to third or down to second it wouldnt want to go into gear. If Id let the clutch out and give it a little gas it motor would rev and then engage into the gear in a pretty violent way. Turned around to come home and not long after that I lost all tension on the clutch lever whatsoever. I figured my clutch cable had snapped.

So I just speed shifted her home and pulled the clutch cable adjustment cover again. The cable was fine and intact. So dug in just a little further and found a destroyed throwout bearing! The thing really fell apart, luckily all the bearings were still there but now theres shards and flakes and microflakes of metal in my primary oil.

I have yet replace the bearing and flush the oil(shes just sitting waiting for some love) so at this point Im praying that is what was causing the shifting issue and not something else, since the bearing is cheap and easy to replace. We'll see.

Anyways, have you checked your throwout bearing?

Thanks for the help and feedback guys, I'll be starting the investigative tranny disassembly soon and I'll post back any news.

@Calidaze - How do I check the throwout bearing? Newb here, sorry.

Can anyone tell me if the engine needs to be removed to access the transmission? '06 Buell XB12R

Yes, The engine case has to be split in half to get to the transmission.

Crap, that sucks. God Bless 'Merica!

Remove the clutch inspection cover. It's on the primary cover near the shifter, it has 3 torx screws.

Remove the spring/locknut.

Then you turn the adjustment screw clockwise until it allows the ramp mechanism to be removed.

This ramp assembly is the first thing to check for proper operation. The two plates should slide smoothly in both directions without any binding.

Then what's left is the adjustment screw that's sitting in a bearing. Check the screw for any excess play or signs or wear to the bearning.

My bearings inner race actually pulled through allowing the screw to come out of the assembly. That's why I lost all of my clutch feeling.

If all seems well in there, then yes you may have to dig deeper.

Good luck

All seems well in the throwout bearing, thanks calidaze.
    I would love to have a word with the Einstein who decided to make the 06+ transmissions very difficult to access and remove. I hope this little project doesn't become the bain of my existence!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast