Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whirring from primary with clutch released

Bearings in the transmission look fine.
    Going in I thought it was the needle bearing on the clutch cage. Doesn’t look hurt and spins easily. No grit or tight spots.

The inside of the transmission can only be seen by splitting the cases.
    The bearings you're referencing, in your pictures, do affect the transmission.
    I can’t pin point exactly how but if you look at the service manual it will show you how various components in the transmission effect each other. And there are several needle/roller bearings inside the transmission.
    I highly suggest taking a look at the transmission section of the service manual to figure out why you're experiencing a whining noise in neutral.

My advice: download a service manual and follow the manual for services. So far from what I’ve read you’re performing your clutch and primary adjustments 100% wrong.

www.buellmods.com for a service manual.

I’m not saying this to be a jerk or piss you off. I just believe the methods you’re using are incorrect. I’ve put nearly 50k miles on me Buell, in the nearly 13yrs I’ve owned it, and I’ve never adjusted the primary or clutch “by sound”. I’ve always followed the procedures in the service manual.

And if I remember correctly the snap ring you’re referring to can only fit back in a certain way. Once again the service manual will illustrate this.

Sorry I can’t be of more help, been a while since I’ve had my bike torn down.
    Last edited by Chicknstripn; 04-29-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Inactive
    F7741055-C36C-4F9D-833D-E8B22AF3F62F.jpg

Also 3 of the springs on the flywheel? Are loose. Don’t appear to be broken just loose in their pockets.

it is NOT a flywheel. it is the clutch basket assy. and yes...they're supposed to be "loose".

Yes clutch basket. Compensating springs…I knew that.

I have the manual. I got the clutch adjusted right. Had an issue before winter. The bearing squeal happened after the first few rides of this season. The squealing happens while bike isn’t moving. Doubt anything in the tranny since nothing is turning. I found a post about using sound, Came in around the same free play as when check by the service way. Snap ring only goes one way that I know of. The spring seat is giving me fits. I can’t seem to compress the pack enough to get the spring seat down enough to allow the ring to snap into the grooves. Gonna have to measure the clutch stack. Sumthin ain’t right.
    Last edited by rb70383; 04-29-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Found it… last minute before leaving for work. Can’t believe no one saw what was wrong. Pic the shows the height of the clutch stack in the basket. That narrow friction band…that one goes in first. I must have flipped the stack putting it back in.

Wait wut? The whirring problem was something you did wrong when looking for the whirring problem?

Me much confuse.

I have the clutch compression tool you can borrow to install the diaphragm spring and snap-ring correctly. Just pay shipping

lol ok. recap or more like me reorganizing my thoughts.

before winter....Heard a whirring sound. Did the typical for the primary area. Change fluid. check primary chain tension, and check/adjust clutch. Here is where I mentioned the audible way of doing the primary chain. Saw a post mentioning a way to do the chain adjustment with it running.
    I followed it. I could hear the distinct sound of the chain, as I tightened and loosened it.

The Whir sometimes got louder releasing the clutch handle, but not always. As well as pulling in on the handle did not always change the sound.
    Bike had no issues before the noise. Rode it to end of season.

New season. Around the 4th ride out, leaving for work, start the bike and it stalls. Had to keep it fueled a bit to keep it running. Bike runs decent when cold, been playing with cold start parameters and would start in the 30's pretty easily. Anyway, go for a spin during lunch. Now it gets progressive worse rather quickly. Started having trouble shifting. Almost couldn't get into neutral at a light. Actually had to shut it off to get it into gear then restart it. pulling into work is when I heard the same sound as a fan belt. Definitely a bearing I thought. Now with the clutch disengaged/engaged I can feel a tug on the bike. Once it gets rolling the drag will keep it rolling. Clutch adjustment?

SO I rip into the primary. Nothing found. Try to reinstall the clutch pack. and a no go. That is where, during disassembly, I swapped the clutch pack order putting the narrow friction disc on top. Time to sell all the tools..

Unf%#k my mistake and the snap ring fits like it was suppose to. Imagine that. I'm going to reassemble and run it. If I cant find anything I might swap my homemade muffler on it. That should drown out any issues. I'm really hoping it isn't the tranny.

Cooter...Thanks for the offer. I tried to make one and failed...don't ask...couldn't find a scrap piece of (round) material for nothing. Did a hate order and ordered one for around $25 iirc. Straight from china. Oh well it worked.

The bike is an 03 9R. Now has around 8500 miles. I've put about half those miles on in the last 2 years. Bike is coming up soon for its 3rd set of tires....can anyone else remember their 3rd set of tires.....

Looking back this is the pic I said no one caught it:
    After seeing it properly installed, it was obvious the clutch pack wasn't seated
    Last edited by rb70383; 04-29-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Inactive
    let's revisit this just for the sheer enjoyment of it.

you have a "whirring noise".
    educated guesses were made as to what it might be but that didn't suffice.
    you completely disassembled most of the primary drive.
    you had questions about primary drive content, and were referring to specific parts nomenclature incorrectly.
    you asked about specific parts and their purpose and when answered "already knew that".
    you INCORRECTLY assembled the contents of the clutch basket and then abrasively chastise board members for not identifying and rectifying your ineptitude from "a picture".

one of the more entertaining and comical threads i've seen on here in quite some time.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 04-29-2019 at 12:45 PM.

I wouldn't say chastise. Never said ya'all idiots for not noticing this. There are other threads where some sharp eyes have noticed small details in pictures before. So that was a jab in the ribs, as a joke. I don't know your frame of mind as to how you will interpret or misinterpret a post.
    So as far as nomenclature. There are pics. Didn't feel like taking a few extra minutes for proper names.

Must download the app for dotting I's and crossing T's.

Pretty sure I said I noticed what I did and posted it here about why the ring wouldn't go back in.

So its fixed and isn't fixed. Never 'found anything' wrong. On the clutch basket, (non-flywheel) Only visual was 'crud' being thrown away from the needle bearing in the basket. Bearing didn't feel gritty either. Only being able to find out of stock bearing installation tools, not to mention the >$200 price, I found a clutch basket on ebay. Swapped that in. don't forget the smaller friction plate goes first.

Bike has been running good ever since. no more creeping forward while the bike was in neutral and clutch engaged.
    So I have a clutch basket that needs a new roller bearing. Any sources on that dam install tool?

Installed my homemade muffler and now back to tweaking the maps.

...as I said the clutch basket was bad, even though I referred to it as a flywheel...so kids don't post when irritated and through a cloud of indica....lizard brain fell back to automotive terminology...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast