Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooling fan issues

Quote Originally Posted by mmcn49 View Post
    For starters try cleaning the fan. Get a can of this stuff and thoroughly douche the fan, not just the blades. Try to get the stuff inside the motor. You may have to remove it from the bike. https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Ele.../dp/B000BXOGNI

You must also replace the rear rocker box seal. The seal is made of silicone. Temperatures in the left rear corner of the rocker box sometimes exceed the seals rating. When this happens the seal cooks, loses its elasticity, becomes hard and stops sealing in the corner, (happened on both my bikes).

When you remove the rocker box cover you'll see an aluminum flange on both sides of the seal. The flanges form sort of a groove that the seal sits in. There are flanges on both the cover and cylinder. Coat the interior and exterior flanges on the cylinder and cover with Hylomar sealant. Now it doesn't matter if the seal leaks or not. The Hylomar sealant will hold backl the oil.
    I'll try that but still have an issue that the fan is on with the key off. I'll put a new fuse in and the fan will run about 3-4 seconds and the fuse blows. What would enable the fan to have power with ignition switch off? Engine is cold.

As far as the fan running continuously, you need to look in the service manual and follow the steps to check code 36. Could be a bad ecm, shorted wire to ground, or temp sensor. Theres just a few steps to test to get your answer.

Was the fan running continuously prior to the cel and fuse blowing?

With the engine cold the fan should not run. The ECM sends a ground signal to the fan relay to activate it, so Nicholas900 is exactly right.
    You could have a stuck relay, shorted to ground signal wire...

Did you just replace the battery?

Did you just replace the battery? No...
    Was the fan running continuously prior to the cel and fuse blowing? Nope...everything was normal.

I will look into the service manual for the flow chart to check the fan circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Just curious, does the addition of the right side Air scoop help with this over heating issue ?
    I found that the adding the RH scoop did help keep the engine a bit cooler. The fan would run for a shorter duration on shut down as well.

However, when I had the bad head temp sensor, the bike would overheat even with the RH scoop.

All my XB's get a RH scoop....but sometimes I wonder... if it made it this long in AZ without it does it really need it?

You may have 2 issues. Maybe a sticking relay or bad head temp sensor not controlling the fan properly, combined with the fan drawing too much current.

I have an '06 Ss that I bought in 2012. Had a hot summer the next year and the fan was working overtime, then gave out. Got a new fan, it was still on all the time. Got the air scoop and it was an immediate improvement. Now the fan even on the hottest days doesn't come on much at all. It used to be on for a few minutes after I stopped, not much anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12