Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: Moving to Colorado, Denver Area from West Coast. Any thoughts?

Off Topic: Moving to Colorado, Denver Area from West Coast. Any thoughts?

I've got a few jobs in the Denver area I might take. What can folks in the area tell me about moving a family there? I'm currently living in the NW (Portland, OR) and it seems like it could be fairly similar in terms of peoples' sensibilities, etc. Who lives there now that has moved from the West Coast? Or, any thoughts in general?

It couldn't POSSIBLY have as much rain... I can deal with snow, cold, but the rain and wind is killing me. I can ride in the rain, and do ride in the rain, but it's just getting old...

My advice? Don't do it. That's just me though. I know lots of friends and family there that still love it, but none of them ride a motorcycle.

Born and raised in Colorado (Golden, Lakewood, Arvada) and I left a long while ago to get away from the snow and cold (much worse than rain and unless you get spiked tires, a much shorter riding season).

Not as radical as Portland has become, so a lot more "sensible". Only Denver has laws about Open Carry. Depends on where you want to live or work, but the cost of living around Denver has dramatically increased. Starting to remind me of California.

Still love the beauty of Colorado and I miss the mountains and proximity of the ski resorts. When the weather is nice, there are a ton of places to ride and explore.

" Starting to remind me of California " thats because many Californians have moved to Colorado !

Liberal pot heads .

Surely you know that there are also Conservative pot heads, being a pot head in my opinion, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    " Starting to remind me of California " thats because many Californians have moved to Colorado !
    I have at least a dozen friends that moved to California, couldn't make it here, then moved to either Portland or Seattle, didn't like it there and moved back to Colorado.

I was just speaking to one of them last night (an old girlfriend and still a close friend), letting her know about some Quality Engineering positions at the company I work for to see if she would try California again.

Nope. She's going to stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    Liberal pot heads .
    Yeah I only like conservative pot heads!

Quote Originally Posted by ROOK View Post
    I've got a few jobs in the Denver area I might take. I'm currently living in the NW (Portland, OR)
    Anything would be better than Oregon IMO. Beautiful but slipping too far left for me. Probably blend in well with Coloradans but too cold for too long if you ask me. I'm building a second home in Florida, but if you do move to CO your Buell will run much better than mine that's for sure Buell's seem to love crisp cool days with low humidity.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well that sucks. I ride in the summer, do a lot of winter camping and sports (as much as I can) in the winter. Really just an excuse to drive our off-road rigs in the snow and camp by a fire Away from everyone else. But the damn rain, sick of it, riding or wintertime stuff I like to do.

I’m not as liberal in the same way others are up here in the NW, but definitely not looking for a “red-state” either.

My family moved from the Portland area to the Colorado mountains, just west of Denver, 28yrs ago. Best decision my parents could have ever made. Your basically trading around 300 days of crummy weather for around 300 days of sunshine.

The Denver area has become a giant melting pot of different types of people, doubt you'd have any problems fitting in. Housing is rather expensive in the Denver metro area, but there is more affordable housing less then a hour either north or east of the metro area.

Winter at the lower elevations around Denver is rather mild and you can ride about 11 months of the year. Since I live in the mountains, I only get to ride about 8 months of the year. Probably one of the largest concentrations of great motorcycle roads in the country for those 8 months though. Since I also snowboard, not a big deal to me.

There are also thousands of acres of National Forrest within a couple hours of the Denver area. Hiking, 4 wheeling, camping, about any outdoor activity you can think of.

My youtube page has some good examples of the riding, wheeling and snowboarding. Just type 06xbss into the search bar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast