Thread: Little Knock in Triple Clamp - I think

Little Knock in Triple Clamp - I think

My new to me 1125cr makes a little knock, click, bonk noise when I sit on the bike and manually pump the front end. I believe the sound is made when the forks are compressed and uncompressed in 1" of travel. I put the bike on a rear jack stand and raised the front wheel off the ground by jacking it up, under the front of the exhaust. I wiggled and shook the front wheel, bars and triple clamp while feeling around the steering head bearings. I found no play. I didn't feel the front end was loose or tight. I can almost feel the knock when I put my hand on the frame, at the triple camp. I have wiggled the brake line, clutch line, throttle cables and wiring harness and I can not re-create the sound. The motorcycle has 20,000KMS.

I suspect I need to re-torque the triple claps and head bolt to factory specs first. Do these bikes have a history of early steering bearing failure? My XB clicks a little bit too, but not as loud as this. Its really noticeable. I will also pull the front wheel and verify the front wheel bearings and axel look ok.

Any other ideas?

Good thing its October and Snowing here!

It's an easy job to pull at least the upper triple off and have a look. If water got in there they could easily be corroded. You'll want to know before trying to re-torque them. Something happened in there to cause clearance issues and I'd rather find out in the garage with a beer, than on the road at 60KPH.

IMO, I'd just buy new tapered bearings (they are cheap) and swap them in while it's apart. No harm done.

no time this weekend to look at it, but I am checking for the price and availability of replacement bearings. I agree, it's always easier to change a part if your in there already, before it implodes! Do you need any special pullers or tools to remove and install the steering neck bearings? A piece of threaded rod with some nuts and washers is one thing, but my budget for specialty BUELL tools this year has been SPENT! - LOL. Still waiting for delivery of my crank locking tool!

The "crank locking tool" can be made from a piece of aluminum bar stock. .50Ę at a hardware store, and grind the ends to a smooth "V".

The specialty "Buell bearing removal tool" is a brass punch ($1) to gently knock out the bearings, and a Buell installation hammer to tap them back in square.

The job is much more of a standard mechanic job than anything Buell specific or needing Buell specific tools. If you are comfortable with tools, you'll be fine.

Without all the handlebar removal nonsense, You can 'cheat' setting the steering neck bearing pre-load by first loosening the locking allen on the upper triple, the upper fork pinch bolts, and then inserting the allen on an extension up from the bottom, through the steering neck pivot to the chrome nut. FYI, The normal RH threads will now lefty-tighten because you're backwards

Thanks for the tip! On the XB and tuber I use an old leather belt to lock the primary chain up. Slip one end under each sprocket. Works well.

The 1125r/cr motor needs a special rod/tool to screw into the bottom of the motor to lock the crank. From my research itís made from materials only found on the moon and itís painted with a paint that is made from baby eagles. At least thatís what the price of it suggests. If I ever get rid of my CR Iíll have one heck of a paper weight.