Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Little Knock in Triple Clamp - I think

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    If you are convinced that the steering neck bearings are good and pre-loaded to spec, you can check the fork cartridges easily by removing the axle and using an allen wrench to make sure the bolts that hold them to the base of the fork tube don't turn.

Make sure you have a long allen wrench, WITHOUT A "BALL" END. I bought a long allen just for this task, and use a wrench for leverage. You DO NOT WANT to damage this bolt.

14222-04.jpeg

Good point^^^^. They are shallow socket headed bolts that are always overtightened and will strip if the allen wrench isn't seated properly becoming a HUGE PITA.

Hello all, I have the same clicking/clonking/ clunking sound on my `08 1125r; it is in the right hand fork, backing off the compression damping made it quieter, as did changing the fork oil, but did not get rid of it. Changing the pre load and rebound made no difference. I have been told that it`s caused by a bypass valve in the fork and quite common in these Showa forks. If you remove the leg(s) it is easy enough to compress them by hand and reproduce the noise. I have not cured it on my bike as it does not affect damping and is not a fault as such, do as advised by the knowledgeable people here and to be safe have them checked out by your professional.( the forks rather than the people..) Hope that helps and Good Luck. PS; just say NO to the Pop Tarts.....anyway it`s Toasted Tea cakes for us Brits !! Al.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Good point^^^^. They are shallow socket headed bolts that are always overtightened and will strip if the allen wrench isn't seated properly becoming a HUGE PITA.
    HUGE PITA is dead on!

I've found that most of the allen sockets dont have enough "allen tool" sticking out get proper purchase of the bolt. Or the socket part is too wide and wont allow the allen to get down (or up) far enough.

Yea!

Nay!

Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-08-2019 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by al.1125r View Post
    PS; just say NO to the Pop Tarts.....
    Says the guy from the country that has Spotted Dick and Vegemite.

And welcome to the forum

POP TARTS ARE THE BEST.... I NEED TO TRY THAT BUTTER THING SOMETIME. I feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it.

The trick is to eat them until your arteries are totally clogged, then you won't feel it any more and you can eat as many as you want,...............................for a very short period.

Thanks for the Allen bolt tip! Just ordering new seals now, no point disassembling the leg with out replacing a 5 dollar deal. I’ll also order bushings to be safe

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    Thanks for the Allen bolt tip! Just ordering new seals now, no point disassembling the leg with out replacing a 5 dollar deal. I’ll also order bushings to be safe
    Also get the spring compressor. Sure, you can build a homebrew on like AZM did in his video, but the actual tool is much much better.

http://traxxion.com/product/fork-spring-compressor-kit/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123