Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling fan issues

Cooling fan issues

I was out riding my '07 XB12Ss and the check engine light came on. Headed home and checked the codes with my ECMDroid. Got a code 36. Found a blown 10amp fan fuse.

Did the quick look see at the wiring and tried a new fuse. Fan comes on and runs about 3-4 seconds then the fuse blows. This is with the key turned off.

Ideas?

Thanks!

how many miles, Is the rear rocker box leaking oil on the fan ??

Bike has 11500 miles and yes the rear rocker is leaking a bit. Not really much oil anywhere. A slight film on blades and fan grill.

Well sounds like you need gaskets and a new fan, even if you got a new fan without fixing the leak oil will take the new fan out again , IMO

Yeah I know I'll need to address the rocker box leak at some point. I assume its blowing the fuse from higher amp draw due to the oil on the blades? But how does the fan remain active with the key turned off?

It is the way all stock ECMs are programmed, cuz the rear is still hot when you stop the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    It is the way all stock ECMs are programmed, cuz the rear is still hot when you stop the engine.
    Just to clarify things...when cold and key off fan is alive. Put in a new 10 amp fuse and fan will run for 3-4 seconds then the fuse blows. Wanted to understand what would make fan active on a cold engine and then blow a fuse.

Maybe you have a bad relay ???? Is your ECM stock ??? John can help with this one not me sorry.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 10-28-2018 at 10:32 PM.

For starters try cleaning the fan. Get a can of this stuff and thoroughly douche the fan, not just the blades. Try to get the stuff inside the motor. You may have to remove it from the bike. https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Ele.../dp/B000BXOGNI

You must also replace the rear rocker box seal. The seal is made of silicone. Temperatures in the left rear corner of the rocker box sometimes exceed the seals rating. When this happens the seal cooks, loses its elasticity, becomes hard and stops sealing in the corner, (happened on both my bikes).

When you remove the rocker box cover you'll see an aluminum flange on both sides of the seal. The flanges form sort of a groove that the seal sits in. There are flanges on both the cover and cylinder. Coat the interior and exterior flanges on the cylinder and cover with Hylomar sealant. Now it doesn't matter if the seal leaks or not. The Hylomar sealant will hold backl the oil.

Just curious, does the addition of the right side Air scoop help with this over heating issue ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast