Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie here .. XB12R Firebolt CEL/Error Code 21 Muffler Actuator Question:

I looked for the loose wire but cannot find it.. guess I need to look from the other end up to see if I can find it ... I now have options and must decide what im going to do ..
    I can Buy new ECM with spade for the IEV and keep stock exhaust.. (no fun)
    I can buy Jardine RT1 and put it on .. use ECMDroid to over look the muffler, then As I've been told I would need to enter new values (Richer) for AVF values ...

Whats you guys opinion on what I should do ?..

thx for the help ..

I would suggest to get a good muffler you like (FYI Cheap Jardines are known to blow up though). IMHO If you want a mellow tone, look into Drummer, If you want full max go with Deans pipe (KEDA).

Then get a tune for the ECM. Try Buelltooth.com. The basic Buell RACE tune is usually good enough unless you want to spend too much time and trouble down the wormhole of tuning.

Or really, whatever... If it runs good now, I'd wire the valve open and run it.

Inactive
    Whats you guys opinion on what I should do ?..

opinion??? what i would do???
    1-remove stock muffler...send to randy hawkins...have him do his mods...reinstall. they are priced right, sound very nice, look very nice, he pays return freight, RETAINS stock lower cowling assembly which allows your R model to retain attractive factory look, install PRECISELY the same method as factory muffler.
    2-get into your ecm and disable the interactive exhaust feature then clear any existing fault codes.
    3- install readily available generic "race" map which will "perk" it up a bit and deliver nicer fueling feel.
    4-youtube hawkins muffler and watch/listen and decide.....google randy hawkins/stone mountain, GA for his info. he's great.
    if you want expeditious....simple...bullet-proof....reliable results these are your choices.
    if you want complications.....new never-ending "help me" threads initiated by you on here....missing lower cowling...an ecm burned to the ground....then follow others' leads and suggestions.

Sounds great, TY Lunaticfringe and Cooter for the help I really appreciate it ... I'll ck out what you guys have recommended and make a choice ..

Again TY for the help ..

MW

On the modified dorman part is the cable guide the original one or is that off a carb (throttle cable) or maybe detent cable guide for an automotive auto transmission? If I could get that part I would be willing to do the welding for members here who need the part but lack access to a welder

Sorry forgot to mention I don't log in here often so best way to contact is by phone at my shop Line Up & Sound Off 360-906-8514. We fix cars my wife says but some time I slip in boats tractors bikes or any thing else that I find interesting

Ok mi bike is at the shop so I looked at the Dorman part I'll look at some throttle bodies and carbs I have and see if there is a compatable part available for the transferred piece and post it if I can find. Bow tie overdrive used to have several cable guides (bell cranks) in different ratios to tune part throttle kick down for GM transmissions that looked very similar.
    Last edited by cvc; 11-25-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by cvc View Post
    Ok mi bike is at the shop so I looked at the Dorman part I'll look at some throttle bodies and carbs I have and see if there is a compatable part available for the transferred piece and post it if I can find. Bow tie overdrive used to have several cable guides (bell cranks) in different ratios to tune part throttle kick down for GM transmissions that looked very similar.
    i have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. i've covered this ad nauseam on here. you remove cable bracket from faulty actuator and install on dorman unit. ONE screw.
    you remove bell-crank from faulty actuator and install on dorman unit. ONE tiny weld.
    i can't make it simpler than that. look at the pics. aye aye aye!

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    i have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. i've covered this ad nauseam on here. you remove cable bracket from faulty actuator and install on dorman unit. ONE screw.
    you remove bell-crank from faulty actuator and install on dorman unit. ONE tiny weld.
    i can't make it simpler than that. look at the pics. aye aye aye!
    ^^^^ I have done 3 of these actuators as John has started and worked like a charm. Super simple!!!

Aye aye aye ! Makes me laugh. Im waiting for an uff da to thrown in there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123