Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What year/model is the best or most desirable?

What year/model is the best or most desirable?

I have 3 xb's and a CR----think it's time to get back on a tuber. If I remember correctly some of the earlier ones had frame issues and I'm sure some years are more desirable..... FI, more HP, upgrades components etc. also any specific things to watch out for with the age of these bikes? I'm sure gaskets are a concern since I believe they were paper gaskets and these fine bikes now have some age on em

I spend some time in the saddle of an M2 and really really liked it. IMO the seat and rear fairing were a little gangly but wow! so comfortable for 300-400 mile, really fast and twisty rides. The M2 is still a carb bike, but thats its trick. SUPER easy to work on.

Haha
    Its at least a 20 year old Harley based bike. You WILL be working on it, and buy some damn JIC screwdrivers!!!

I'm certainly no expert on the tubers (or anything really) but I understand they still have the earlier Harley engine cases. That means they have a 'trapdoor' for the trans and you can put in a 6-speed easily. I DO know a XB suspension and brake swap is really easy (need a triple tree pivot tube).

I borrowed this from the original owner and rode it about 3500 miles in 3 weeks all around the PNW and Canada during the last eclipse. It has the 6-speed and the XB conversion.

If I was to buy one. I'd get an S3T and I'm sure I'd be happy FYI, I love this forum for all things XB, but I go to BadWeb (Badweatherbikers.com) for expert tuber and Uly info

Great pics!!! You gotta know I love Bridges!

Haha, Ya SR. Thats the same road that comes out of the hole and over the bridge, a quick loop and back under itself. Totally Hot Wheels track stuff! Custers Natl Park outside Sturgis is a MUST SEE destination.

Nice pic, you guys are brave, I wouldn't stop there especially if it was myself coming around that corner !

That's funny you say that NJ. The shutter speed makes the 25mph corner look fast, but I did see a couple guys wobble and over correct. No one turns in Sturgis without their feet down.

I would second the S3T. Still my favorite ride of all the bikes I have owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    I borrowed this from the original owner and rode it about 3500 miles in 3 weeks all around the PNW and Canada during the last eclipse. It has the 6-speed and the XB conversion.
    What was your thoughts on the 6 speed conversion? Was it just "another gear" after 5th, or did it rearrange the ratios to make it more of a close(r) ratio transmission?

I remember back in the day, doing a 5 speed conversion on the aircooled VW's was the thing everyone lusted after to lower revs on the highway. But the reality was that the taller gear put more load on the engine, while slowing down the cooling fan and oil pump... so it created a few issues.

I'm still considering picking up that Cyclone I was telling you about awhile back.... and this keeps me thinking about it... so STOP!

I don't know if it changed all the gears or was just an add on 'overdrive'. The bike also had a 1250 kit and I didn't feel power was an issue In fact the only thing I noticed was I never went for the 'phantom 6th' like I still do on the STT

I’m always looking for the phantom 6th gear. My pick is the X1. The bike is a tad psychotic. I find the narrow part of the seat at the gas tank uncomfortable but for irritating the locals there’s nothing better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast