Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poorly running Ulysses

Low AFV is pulling fuel, Bike is reporting lean for whatever reason. Intake leak, or fuel pump, also a bad O2. spray some carb cleaner around the intake and listen for change in idle.

How did it run for the ride? Did the AFV drop again?

The TPS is going up when revved because it's a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and should smoothly increase from 5 at idle all the way to WOT.

That low AFV means the ECM is pulling almost 35% of fuel out of the fuel map globally because it thinks the bike is too RICH. A ton of reasons why, including bad O2 sensor, bad aftermarket programming, etc but it's really hard to tell when you won't answer questions.

Good luck buddy, hope it works out for you.

Ok. AFV drops to 84.6 after 20-30 minute rides. Fuel pump pressure never drops below 49 PSI. No error codes on ECM. WD-40 has no effect on RPMs when sprayed on the intake ports. What the heck is wrong with my bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_fergusson View Post
    Ok. AFV drops to 84.6 after 20-30 minute rides. Fuel pump pressure never drops below 49 PSI. No error codes on ECM. WD-40 has no effect on RPMs when sprayed on the intake ports. What the heck is wrong with my bike?
    Just to make sure when I said bike is reporting lean I meant through the AFV. Low AFV...ecm trying to lean it out.

Does it run smooth? Misfires? If the fuel system is supplying, aslong injectors arent leaking, all the air is entering the engine how it should, ignition is next.
    Did you run a fuel pressure gauge during the ride? Where did you tap in? Does it drop with acceleration?

Another idea...Rear exhaust leak? I think on these bikes it would have to be a rather excessive one but still.

Quote Originally Posted by rb70383 View Post
    Just to make sure when I said bike is reporting lean I meant through the AFV. Low AFV...ecm trying to lean it out.

Does it run smooth? Misfires? If the fuel system is supplying, aslong injectors arent leaking, all the air is entering the engine how it should, ignition is next.
    Did you run a fuel pressure gauge during the ride? Where did you tap in? Does it drop with acceleration?

Another idea...Rear exhaust leak? I think on these bikes it would have to be a rather excessive one but still.
    Thanks for the response and help. Fuel pressure is strong. Tapped it down by the pump. No dips. No exhaust leak. Bike is running fine at the moment. A local friend of a friend is power commander wizard. He took a look at the map on my ecmdroid and made some adjustments. I scheduled some dyno time with him after the holidays to get a real good tune. Fingers crossed she stays running strong. Gonna pull the plugs and check them after a couple of hundred miles. PS lunatic I’ll still take those O rings for the pump I paid you for.

Sincerely yours
    Turd

Dump the power commander and get a proven IDS tune , JMO
    http://idspd.com/xcart/buell-xb12-08-09-d-d-ecm.html

You kinda left this Power Commander fact out all along ??????????????????
    Last edited by Silverrider; 11-30-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Theres a Power Commander on the bike!? Oh Lord

If there is... that explains a lot and very well possibly IS the problem. The PC trying to fake sensor inputs to richen the mixture, the ECM is reading the output of the engine (O2 sensor) as rich and is pulling the fuel out. You don't need it with the programs available for your stock Buell ECM. Throw it away.

If you want to fix your bike. Remove it, and start your diagnosis again. I would also highly recommend not messing with the ECM programming until you actually diagnose the bike. Pro or not... you will mask the issue instead of solve it.

If you insist on fiddling with the ECM and need it proven to you, install a generic known good "Race" program and re-test.

In my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    PS lunatic I’ll still take those O rings for the pump I paid you for.

sent them to you Alan via USPS letter envelope wednesday/11-28.
    Thank you sir

It does not have a power commander. A friend of a friend has a lot of experience with tuning and he look at my map and noticed some things where odd and made some adjustments.

[QUOTE=Cooter;607570]Theres a Power Commander on the bike!? Oh Lord

If there is... that explains a lot and very well possibly IS the problem. The PC trying to fake sensor inputs to richen the mixture, the ECM is reading the output of the engine (O2 sensor) as rich and is pulling the fuel out. You don't need it with the programs available for your stock Buell ECM. Throw it away.

If you want to fix your bike. Remove it, and start your diagnosis again. I would also highly recommend not messing with the ECM programming until you actually diagnose the bike. Pro or not... you will mask the issue instead of solve it.

If you insist on fiddling with the ECM and need it proven to you, install a generic known good "Race" program and re-test.

In my opinion

All is said was that i knew someone who was proficient at tuning a power commander. Spark is good, fuel pump pressure is great.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast