Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pitch forks and torches

I think there's some confusion here:

Wicked chop is right that using regular gas (Ewith ethanol) seems to be just fine for motorcycles (track stud or not) even though they have never been tested for it's use for our years. Normal gas (E10) from a gas station will have an ethanol percentage that varies between 10-20% in testing.

Kona is exactly right in his description of E85 and you don't get that from regular gas, it's a specific pump at the station (yellow handles out here) and your bike/car/whatever better be tuned for it.

Putting ethanol in your Buell tank won't make more power. It will make less power. That is a fact. Ethanol has less BTU's than gas, (British Thermal Units) so more of it must be burned to make the same power as normal gasoline. That is the reason it needs tuning.

Ethanol does naturally have a higher resistance to knocking (higher octane) so the racers like it for very high compression or very advanced tuning. If you specifically build an engine for E85 you could make more power. Thats where the rumor that E85 makes more power comes from. Your stock engine won't like it.

Correct I was not asking about running gasoline with ethanol I was asking if anything is achieved by running e85 as long as I'm updating and upgrading my fuel system. That being said after much more reading it looks like it only has significant benefits if you extensively build the engine for higher compression and etc

My fault.....i thought u were asking about running pump gas w alcohol. Regardless, no need to build a monster energy graves Yamaha replica racer. Tires, pads, suspension setup......proceed to pit out and beat the living balls off the thing!!!!!!

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    Yeah, i apologize for my track prep suggestions. Definately do the above......i hardly have ever been to the track before.

Ooftabud: it pains me to read about the loss of your friend. a horrible situation to have to endure.
    regarding your possible forthcoming "track days" you need to know 1 word and 1 word only: wickedchop!
    first name wally.....home track NJMSP....assortment of race-bikes....incredible riding talent....presently enrolled in racing school held by two of the premier motorcycle racers in history. his resume' and experience extensive to say the least though his modesty precludes him being on here spewing braggadocio nonsense as most others would. i've seen him race and simply put....he's incredible. perhaps reach out for him exclusively with a PM and pick his brain on anything and everything you'll need to know for this possible endeavor. he's brilliant...extremely helpful...and generous with his time.

PS-you'll need a "race-map tune" and HellFire 1%er UltraHiFlo air intake assembly for track duty. contact FabioDriven for all your tuning needs.

dca32364b896b74ea2959ae8364bc7f4.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 11-29-2018 at 03:06 PM.

WOW......John. Way to nice man. Im no track stud by any means. I just go out and try to put a smile on my face and do my best for the people that stand behind me and the bikes. Far from the fastest cat out there. Hands down the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me John!!!!!

No big deal wickedchop. It sounds like I'm in good hands here. So far much more inviting than the XB Facebook group.

Lunaticfringe I do have the buelltooth race map but haven't installed it if that is the one you're referring to

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    Yeah, i apologize for my track prep suggestions. Definately do the above......i hardly have ever been to the track before.
    I wasn't taking away from your track prep suggestions. Just trying to clear up the misunderstanding I noticed with ethanol. Id hate to see him just dump in a tank full of e85 over a misread post.

However even on stock engine internals you could make more power if tuned for e85. You push 35% more fuel than gasoline but it also has a cooling affect on the air in the combustion chamber as well as the ability to get more aggressive with timing. It would be a big pain for about a 5% power increase.
    Last edited by konarider94; 11-29-2018 at 07:10 PM.

All true that is, as long as John doesn't say he's also handsome !

All good Kona, that's why I said my fault. Kenny you know damn well I'm not handsome, you've been down to see us at the track....lol. Thanks also to Carlos, I am totally a poser! I did though at one point try to get Carlos on the track....never made it down. Maybe one day in a perfect world we will all get together and get a track day in and rip it up!

Kona thats kind of what I figured but I thought I'd ask in case anyone has had a positive experience with it. Being that there were rumors of turbos from the factory and what not, I wasn't sure how much potential they had set these machines up for

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12