Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pitch forks and torches

Pitch forks and torches

Hey all I have a few questions regarding fuel system updates and some other stuff. Hopefully you haven't sharpened your pitch forks or have a torch nearby because I'm sure this has been covered. I've been considering running my XB exclusively on the track after my friend was killed this fall on his bike by a drunk driver. With track days in mind and the off season (yes we have that in the great white North) as well I'm thinking about starting with the basics. Air and fuel. The air part is fairly simple but I'd like input on fuel system updates. More specifically E85. I've seen anything from "I run e85 all the time, they were built for it" to "if you look at the e85 pump your bike will explode." I plan on updating as much as possible as long as I have it apart i.e. pump, filter, and possibly bigger injectors and Dyno tuning after. Is this possible without major engine work or even worth the trouble? Wisdom is much appreciated and please be gentle

First off, sorry about your friend. You can buy fuel WITHOUT E85 near you if you search who sells it. Leave the bike alone, suspension setup and tires (Dunlop Q4's) and brake pads will be your best upgrade and best friend for track duty!!!!!! Someone on here was selling a brand new set of unused full fairings for an xb just the other day. I use E85 in ALL three of my track bikes.....why? Flat out because I'm effing lazy, with that being said I've NEVER EVER had a problem....EVER!

Thanks you! You run e85 without modification? Being an 04 with 15xxx miles I figured stuff is starting to get tired so as long as I'm replacing I might as well upgrade and prep it for the track so that's how all of this came about

Yup......sv650 stock motor exhaust and filter, bike was brutally abused it's entire life before I got it, RC51 stock motor exhaust and filters 23,000 miles, gsxr 750 stock motor exhaust and filter power commander 32,000 miles......ZERO PROBLEMS!

Got a link for those full fairings?

Yeah it's on here somewhere under Buell parts for sale section.......member ROOK is the seller. I think it was $350 for everything. Sounds like a steal to me

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    First off, sorry about your friend. You can buy fuel WITHOUT E85 near you if you search who sells it. Leave the bike alone, suspension setup and tires (Dunlop Q4's) and brake pads will be your best upgrade and best friend for track duty!!!!!! Someone on here was selling a brand new set of unused full fairings for an xb just the other day. I use E85 in ALL three of my track bikes.....why? Flat out because I'm effing lazy, with that being said I've NEVER EVER had a problem....EVER!
    I think you mean you can buy fuel without any ethanol if you search for it. Most cars are still running on gasoline that allows up to 10% ethanol. So finding anything other than E85 is pretty easy at literally every gas station.

E85 means its 85% ethanol and only 15% gasoline and even on flex fuel vehicles that are designed for e85 its harder on everything. They even suggest shorter oil change intervals if you use it, and switching back and forth from gasoline to e85 still causes driveability issues at times

To the OP yea if you tuned for it you could likely make more power with e85 but I dont think its worth it. The other problem is that to get the tuning exact you need to run an alcohol sensor in the fuel line as pump e85 can vary down to e70.

What is your goal for running e85?

Yeah, i apologize for my track prep suggestions. Definately do the above......i hardly have ever been to the track before.

OP, yeah right, He lives at the track ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and would be the first person I would ask for information !

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    Yeah, i apologize for my track prep suggestions. Definately do the above......i hardly have ever been to the track before.
    So true
    Everyone knows you’re just a poser!

Ha ha ha!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast