Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm about to give up on my 12scg.

I'll be looking for a potential deal like this someday again. Sometimes you just want to strip a Buell like yours down to the frame and pistons and own it. Love the simplicity of these beastly motorbikes. But i get how some folks have better things to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by midway; 12-03-2018 at 06:08 PM.

That came out nice!

All is Not Lost, however you have to learn how to wrench a bit. If it ran great most of its life somethings wearing out or failing, (probably minor). Others mentioned good starting points. Never replace parts without diagnosing the problem and doing a little troubleshooting.

Throttlebody seals are number one on the list. The shop manual covers how to test them for leaks. The HD Throttlebody seals are IMHO so bad just go ahead and replace them with Genuine James Seals. If they don't solve the problem the new seals will prevent one from happening further down the road.

TPS Sensor: Get out a magnifying glass and a bright little LED flashlight. Carefully inspect all three wires where they go into the body of the TPS. On some models they put a big strain on these wires when they were installed causing them to fatigue, break and fail, (happened on both my TT's).

Quote Originally Posted by ocgreenmachine View Post
    Where are you in orange county? I am in Irvine and have a Buelltooth.

There are a lot of possibilities of what is going on with your bike. If it can be diagnosed, most of those problems are easy to fix.

As for the codes on Buelltooth, you should be able to read the error codes via ECMDroid on your android device when connected to the Buelltooth dongle.
    I am in Lake Forest. If you are good with this stuff I would much appreciate the help.

Thanks everyone so far for the recommends. I can get a local shop to check out the intake seals, and also get a replacement tps for while they have up on the bench anyway.

I have replaced gaskets and spark plugs this year. Also just snapped the drive belt last month, it had a good life. There is an electrical connection under the botton left seat that vibrates loose and kills the engine too, but that's one of perks that only messes with me a few times a year.

also get a replacement tps for while they have up on the bench anyway
    thats a huge waste of money if you don't know its bad... I'm fairly certain (at least from my own experience) that the 2007 TPS is a Harley only unit, it cannot be replaced with the 03-06 autozone/ford cross part. Unless Someone has found a cross part since then, the tangs that mate with the TB are oriented differently for that model year. At last check $95 was about as cheap as i could find it from HD. I have a spare that I don't need, but ill be damned if I'd sell it to someone who's just going to throw parts at their bike.

A TPS Sensor is just a variable resistor and an extremely long lived item. Wire fatigue where the wires enter the sensor body is a major fail point and easy to detect. Don't just replace the TPS without troubleshooting first.

Carbon build up is a frequent occurence with high mileage and will lead to poor, erratic performance. Get yourself an endoscope off amazon and take a peak at your throttle body. If it is gunked up, you can bet your cylinder heads look the same. You can confirm by removing your spark plugs and looking through there.

OP, you have a minor running issue, are “no mechanic” and you want to get rid of you bike because of a minor running problem?

IMO, take it to a V twin shop or sell it now.
    I wouldn’t recommend trying to become a mechanic on it if you’re only willing to throw parts at it yourself it will cost you much more time, money and frustration and you’ll just sell it anyway.

I’m not trying to be a downer. Just helping you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12