Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: xb12s right side cover / scoop

xb12s right side cover / scoop

Hi,

I've purchased this xb12s two weeks ago. Very fun bike to ride!
    I've noticed that the right side cover is missing. I've read about it and I've learned it is also referred to as the right side air scoop.

My questions:

- Is it crucial? Should I even ride without it?
    - Should I just order the original part or is there a better alternative?

I've read about placing an Ulysses air scoop but I'm not sure this is necessary for me. I'm not planning on racing the bike.

Thanks!

Jurrien (the Netherlands)

Welcome to the forum! There is a tiny cover/scoop stock that you should have on the bike.
    There are 2 other option for larger right side scoops. One is just a larger scoop for hot weather riding, the other is the whole “Uly comfort kit” that includes the larger scoop and some minor heat shielding for inner thigh comfort.

Here’s a stock cover/ scoop laying upside down
    D0CA2C8B-7CAD-4D74-A8A5-6A2BB783FA59.jpg

Here’s a bigger RSS Installed
    C400C7FD-7FC7-402D-95E8-D809961E4F19.jpg

It does not come standard when new. Many buy it as an add on, whether you need it or not is up for debate but it certainly cannot hurt.

Welcome and good luck with the bike..

P.S. I thought you were referring to the larger scoop and yes, yours according to your picture seems to be missing, might as well put the larger scoop on as Cooter suggested.
    Last edited by njloco; 12-04-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks for your answers. I think I'm going to read some more about the scoop before ordering one. I mean reading about if the larger one is needed or not.

if you go with the standard "scoop" there are likely dozens just sitting on shelves and stuffed under benches that most would just give away, i had 3 of them that i recently threw out assuming no one would ever want one! But i would say the big scoop is worth the money, both in cooling and its just a mod most buellers desire (like if you ever decide to sell the bike)

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurrien View Post
    Thanks for your answers. I think I'm going to read some more about the scoop before ordering one. I mean reading about if the larger one is needed or not.
    here's the "scoop": all XB model buells struggle to sufficiently cool themselves in constant temps of 80 degrees Fahrenheit and above......particularly in stop&go/congested traffic situations. why? it's very simple: the heat-generating cylinder heads which are the hottest part of the "engine-proper" are tucked away between the frame rails and under the airbox/seat assemblies. they want and need air circulation and receive very little. read up all you want but that's as concise as i can explain it for you.

1-install a stock right side scoop. it's better than nothing...but not all that much better. i have new take-offs and will send you one over for the cost of USPS air freight if you can't find one in NL.
    2-order the complete "comfort kit" right side scoop assembly. total list price around $69 for everything. it's the single best $69 you will EVER spend on your XB. here's what you need to order and NOTE: there are limited quantities left in the dealer system so i would not tarry if ordering.

M0852.7AA INNER SCOOP ASSEMBLY QTY 1
    M0851.7AA OUTER """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    AN1005.3FSS ATTACHMENT SCREW QTY 3
    Last edited by user_deleted; 12-05-2018 at 01:45 PM.

John, found it !

Thanks
    Last edited by njloco; 12-05-2018 at 11:51 PM.

I put one on my xb12r when I bought the bike as a suggestion from cooter. I am in so cal. Big difference on cooling the motor, I paid 80.00 shipped for the kit. Good investment!!

Ya Gotta have a scoop ! It will save your rear rocker gaskets from cooking and leaking,pay now or later. IMO If you want a stock scoop let me know postage and its yours. https://st-paul-harley-davidson-buel...xb-models-l19c

IMG_3693.jpg IMG_3693.jpg
    3 some_056 by Jack Joseph, on Flickr
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-06-2018 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks for all the replies!
    Still in doubt. I like the part about keeping the engine cooler.
    But now I see the photo of Silverrider I think it is a bit big and ugly to be honest.
    Is it the "comfort kit", as referred to by lunaticfringe?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast