Thread: Broken finger follower and camshaft locking tool

Broken finger follower and camshaft locking tool

Just finishing the valve lash adjustments and discovered one of the finger followers has a chunk missing from it. The bike ran fine but I'm going to replace it before it grenades it self.

If I remove the front cylinder cam shaft assembly but do not dissasemble the cam gears, do I need camshaft locking tool to re-install the cam shaft assembly?

The service manual leads me to believe I only require the tool if I'm tightening the cam gear fastener bolts. I believe I can pull the camshaft assembly apart to replace the finger follower, without removing the cam gears.

Am I making any sense?

It's a good tool to have on hand just so you don't mess up the cam timing on reassembly, but not needed if you have been into these motors and know what you're doing without it. There are 2 other tools I wouldn't go without though, crank lock tool and the clutch hub locking tool. Can't properly torque anything in the bottom end without them.
    Yes, I still make all 3 if you need them. Supposed to have the next batch of crank lock tools in hand either today or tomorrow, depending on the powder coating guy.

Thank You Again Dean!
    I have a crank locking tool, a must for anything more sophisticated than changing the oil. I have changed many timing belts and timing chains before without such a tool.