Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changing Front Tire

I think what Cooter was suggesting, just to play it safe change them then you will not have to worry about them on a adventure and have them act up since you have the wheel off all ready. No know issues just 11 yrs old ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-1 View Post
    So is the advice to replace the bearings because there are known issue with the stock one's?

Here's what mine look like:

Attachment 10890

The bike is going on 11 years old but only has 7k on it.

I ended up ordering SKF brand. All Balls are not universally loved to put it mildly. Rebranded Chinese from what I read.
    I agree, any name brand is the way to go. SKF, NSK, Timken, FAG. Just be sure to order them from a reputable source. There are lots of pirated parts out there especially with bearings.

That pic shows either the wrong bearings, or the seals came out. They are Junk now, and check the rears.

When Buell wheel bearings fail, it is usually catastrophic and usually without warning. You may get a weird un-timed cracking noise from the hub, or you may have a loud muffler or ear plugs that won't let you hear it. If you hear that noise (I have) you have a dangerous > 50 miles to go before you are calling a tow truck, stuck in the 'hood, where your helmet is worth more money than most the cars on the street and they haven't seen a sober person in months. (Avalon and the 110 fwy) . OR you are 1800 miles from home, 100 miles from anywhere and 200 miles from ONE bearing (Napa) and 200 miles from the OTHER bearing (Napa) and thank you again Opto for saving my butt...but I digress

I promise you they will never fail while the bike is apart in your garage and you conveniently have the time to fix it, like right now.

SR is right. I'm saying to replace them when you are putting on tires. Yours are 11 years old on a barely ridden bike (50-ish miles a month) =condensation=rust pitting=ruin your day. For less than $30 and 5 minutes of your time while the wheel is off and staring at you, I'm suggesting a tiny bit of preventative maintenance.
    Lots of strong opinions with bearing mfg's, so I'll stay out of that one. I have used All Balls with never a problem, but I replace mine every time I put on tires so...

This isn't just for the OP, its a PSA for easy maintenance that will save you untold time money and inconvenience.
    IMO.

The photo is after I pried off the orange dust cover. I knocked both of them out today but noticed they are 6005, NTN brand. Cooter said front should be 6004 so that's what I ordered. Is that correct?

I have no dog in the hunt about where All Balls are mfg. but a guy on the CBR forum emailed them. Here's his question and the answer he got:

"I would like to know more about your product, Part Number 25-1415. Are the bearing parts "completely" made in the USA with USA "parts" or are pieces to this kit made from China produced materials?"

All Balls answer:
    "We do the design and specifications on the bearing in house , then they are manufactured in China to our specs. They are a Abec 3 level same as OEM."

Paul Waslin
    All BAllS Racing
    Bearings and Components
    822 North Reading Ave.
    New Berlinville, PA 19545.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-1 View Post
    The photo is after I pried off the orange dust cover. I knocked both of them out today but noticed they are 6005, NTN brand. Cooter said front should be 6004 so that's what I ordered. Is that correct?

I have no dog in the hunt about where All Balls are mfg. but a guy on the CBR forum emailed them. Here's his question and the answer he got:

"I would like to know more about your product, Part Number 25-1415. Are the bearing parts "completely" made in the USA with USA "parts" or are pieces to this kit made from China produced materials?"

All Balls answer:
    "We do the design and specifications on the bearing in house , then they are manufactured in China to our specs. They are a Abec 3 level same as OEM."

Paul Waslin
    All BAllS Racing
    Bearings and Components
    822 North Reading Ave.
    New Berlinville, PA 19545.
    6005 is the size of the front. 6006 is for the rear.

6004 isnt gonna work. Hopefully you can cancel that order.

I have used all balls as well and ran them for 10-15k miles. I will never admit to them being as good as a known brand bearing though. Cost can be a deciding factor.
    Last edited by konarider94; 12-11-2018 at 07:44 PM.

I've also seen that email response on the internet, where? I don't quite remember. Sooooooo, is it a real email? Has anyone ever called all balls and asked them are they made in China? Regardless, I get mine for my Buells from John and also run them in all my track bikes and never had an issue.

I bought my bearings from Lunaticfringe as well, and aside from him opening an occasional can of whoop-ass on me, I've been extremely pleased.

I guessed at the part numbers ..."IIRC"..., hopefully you can get the right ones. Lunatic will help you out.

I don't care where anythings made, I know what quality is.

Be careful, since the season has ended, he stocked up on those cans of whoop ass !

The 6004s I ordered are returnable but will fit on the front of my CBR 600rr so I'm keeping them.

I don't like a mystery so contacted All Balls. Helen Turner -- helen_turner@allballsracing.com -- responded within a couple hours.

She confirmed that their wheel bearings are 100% Chinese made. Some of their steering head bearings are made in India. Mystery solved. The Internet isn't always wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast