Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another won't start thread

Another won't start thread

Ok, so bought a project, non runner from japan, 13000km https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ject-2004-XB9S

the first thought was pump. no priming noise,

so the pump and filter have been replaced, great have priming sound,
    new battery fitted aswell,

cranked her over a few times thinking the fuel needed time to get to the injectors,
    nope. just keeps cranking over,

so cracked the fuel line nut at the pump, some fuel squirts out (how much should come out of this line?), so assume that this is ok,

next, i poured a bit of fuel down the intake, and she fires up, so assume spark is ok,

I have no diagnostic tools available to me, will buy a buelltooth soon but it will take a while to arrive to New Zealand,

Any ideas or things to look for?

Banned
    Might be stuck injectors. You can find a Ford injector connector in your local auto parts store and use 12v fully charged battery, remove right side air-scoop, disconnect injectors plugs, stick the injector connector to injector, connect one wire of the connector to the battery, then shortly tap another wire to opposite battery contact. This trick can help you to unstuck the injectors. Anyway if injector works you should be able to hear clicking sound during connecting the battery. Do not connect injector to the battery for long time, just tap battery contact shortly.

Last edited by EBR; 12-19-2018 at 07:29 AM.

cool, I'll head to the wreckers this weekend and get a plug.
    I don't know why or how long the bike had been sitting prior to me buying it.

if I need to remove the injectors for cleaning, is this straight for forward? or does the motor need to be dropped?? or anything?

Just checked there is fuel getting up there, disconnected the fuel line up under the air box, heaps of fuel came out when it primed!

You really should put a fuel pressure gauge on the line and see what your pressure is at. Should be 48-50 psi if not your fuel pressure regulator will need replacing. You might have fuel coming out of your line but not enough pressure. Just my 2 cents.

Inactive
    carsten: good diagnostics on your part. there is a reason it was a "non-runner" and now you're trying to determine what the reason is. THAT is one hell of a crap-shoot. i don't know if you reside on the north or south island but there's quite a few kiwis on here and perhaps one of them is near you and could assist in person? just a thought. here's some bare-bones basics i'd do before you start throwing parts at it that might reveal the problem:
    1-bike fell over during ocean voyage from japan to you.... and tripped the BAS(bank angle sensor). either reset it or temporarily by-pass it to test. see link below to search for historical fault code #44. ecmspy will disable it...don't know about buelltooth. here is simple BAS test: Disconnect the sensor conector and measure the voltage on the lt gn/gy wire and the bk wire. the voltage should be 4.0-6.0 volts. if it is 11-13 volts there is a short.
    3-remove ONLY the front spark plug(most accessible) and check its condition. i realize it fires when hand-fed fuel but i'd still check it.
    4-check your clutch perch and side-stand. see if each has a safety inter-lock switch. if so remove the 2 feed wires from each....attach a multi-meter to the switch pins....set to ohms....operate switch....see what you have.
    5-your ecm controls fuel, spark, fan...many functions. it MUST have a proper ground. unplug it...remove it....flip it over and check for melting or cracks....replace it....CAREFULLY study the under-seat area for your grounds. remove and clean.
    6-lastly use link below and check for historical fault codes. might be a clue revealed as to why it won't start. do these easy simple things first and report back. you failed to mention model and year.....so.....here ya go....

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...77/146574.html
    Last edited by user_deleted; 01-06-2019 at 04:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    thanks.

it's a 2004 xb9s

I'm located in the North. Auckland to be precise.

OK I will try those things asap. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    carsten: good diagnostics on your part.[/url]
    OK,
    error codes, 33 fuel pump and 44 BAS, old codes or current?
    6.6volts measured on the BAS terminals
    the clutch switch seams to function as it should with very little resistance only a few ohms

i'll have to leave the checking earths and ecu till the weekend
    Last edited by Carsten; 12-20-2018 at 05:56 AM.

also is this yellow wire meant to be plugged into something?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inactive
    error codes, 33 fuel pump and 44 BAS, old codes or current?
    no way to interpret. can be fresh or historical. you need to establish a base-line by clearing the fault codes then starting fresh. you'll need software to do that. the link i sent you to access ecm codes via the jumper-wire method does only that....it does not clear fault codes.

i'll have to leave the checking earths and ecu till the weekend
    i wouldn't proceed further until you have done that.

also is this yellow wire meant to be plugged into something?
    my 2005 XB-S manual shows AMC wire. would not be applicable to your 9 as it does not have IEV system.

go to this link....click download 2004 service manual.....go to appendix....chapter B....appendix B-17....it's right there.
    something is NOT triggering your injectors to function via the ecm.

http://buellmods.com/manuals.html
    Last edited by user_deleted; 12-20-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Excellent Thread! John is a machine when diagnosing a Buell. I think I’m going to pick up a no-start Ulysses just to see Johns work first hand.

I would suggest in addition to the manual, ecmspy and a diagnostic cable. The ability to clear faults, look up errors, run simply tests, read sensors, etc, etc... may help quicken the troubleshooting process. After you get Ecmspy and get this bike running, pick up a BuellTooth and ecmdroid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast