Thread: Good muffler info Shoot out test report

Good muffler info Shoot out test report

Last edited by Silverrider; 12-12-2018 at 02:19 PM.

Holy wow that's a LOT of info and hard work! Congrats to those guys and thank you SR for sharing with us

Do you know when it was done?

More than 15 years ago? Was done by ASB back in the day. Website is long since closed but the files from it are still floating around. They did the same type of testing for the 1125 as well in 2010. Pretty sure I have all of the test result files, not just the pdf.

Hey Dean, do you have a dyno chart for your RTXB1 pipe? I get inquiries about the performance of the RTXB1 on my youtube channel and I wish I had something to direct them to like the ASB shootout. I usually equate the RTXB1 to the Drummer SS based off of my butt dyno from riding with both pipes, but having a chart would help illustrate the power curve much better for comparisons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, there doesn't seem to be any big difference between them, other than ones perceived sound of each. I've seen this test comparison before though I don't remember where. Again just my unprofessional opinion but, from this it would seem that going through all the trouble that some have had with remapping and other mods, it does not have any big pay off.

I changed my muffler for a more classic sound and more noise, it's more pleasant sounding to me, I'm thrilled that I didn't bother changing to a race map but rather purchased a Buelltooth and just changed it ever so slightly, it would appear to me that, Erik got it right the first time around !

Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    More than 15 years ago? Was done by ASB back in the day. Website is long since closed but the files from it are still floating around. They did the same type of testing for the 1125 as well in 2010. Pretty sure I have all of the test result files, not just the pdf.
    https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/04...out_Report.pdf

If we're talking bikes on the street, I would agree with NJ that 90%+ of aftermarket exhaust running a basic 'Race' tune on a well running Buell are indistinguishable from each other performance wise. Even the chart shows them so close that look to be within the error % of the Dyno.

I pick them for sound/looks/weight in that order and datalog a race tune with the WB on the bikes. The recommended changes are very minor.

Of course this all excludes the HellFire 1%'er exhaust, which is the undisputed king of all

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, there doesn't seem to be any big difference between them, other than ones perceived sound of each. I've seen this test comparison before though I don't remember where. Again just my unprofessional opinion but, from this it would seem that going through all the trouble that some have had with remapping and other mods, it does not have any big pay off.

I changed my muffler for a more classic sound and more noise, it's more pleasant sounding to me, I'm thrilled that I didn't bother changing to a race map but rather purchased a Buelltooth and just changed it ever so slightly, it would appear to me that, Erik got it right the first time around !

Easily 15+ hp and 10 ft/lbs of torque is a huge difference comparing it to stock and if you compare just the aftermarket, it's still a 8-10 hp difference and 5-6 ft/lbs torque. At 7500 rpm, it's a 15 ft/lb difference compared to stock. That's what I'd call a MASSIVE difference. The test Al did was what I would consider a quick and dirty test to show the big differences. Obviously some systems performed far better than others. Look for yourself at the charts/numbers. Once all that was done, I ended up with a months long backlog that took years to get out from under. I stayed busy all the way up until early spring of this year when I destroyed my right knee. I severely limit the amount of work I take in now.

After EBR did their tuning on the 1125 exhaust, it ended up at 143.1 hp at the wheel on THEIR dyno and bike. The full factory kit on the same motor only made 145 hp at 3x the cost of mine.

You may be happy with what you currently have, but do you *know* what the air/fuel ratio is after installing that map? The calibration supplied with mine is what EBR specified at the time to squeeze the max out of it and they spent months developing the calibration with lab grade wideband sensors and all the other tricks they had up their sleeves at the time. Not saying it's the best thing out there, but it certainly works and is spot on.

Honestly, when I got into this, I had zero expectations other than to make it sound like what *I* wanted. The first few were damn ugly. I've gotten a little better at it over time though.