Thread: New blast owner please help.

New blast owner please help.

Hello I am a new owner of a 2004 Buell blast it has 3600 miles on it. When I purchased it it had been sitting for 5 years, I drained the tank put fresh fuel installed a new plug and changed the oil also a new battery. The bike will crank fine but doesn't fire right up. If I spray carb cleaner in the carb it will fire right up and run until thats gone. I pulled the new plug out and it is black and wet. So I assume its getting fuel I know it has spark I checked that, and it will run as long as it has carb cleaner in the carb. What should I check next? Thanks in advance for any and all help. I have not pulled the carb apart or done anything not mentioned. Also The bike is stock no aftermarket exhaust etc. Thanks again for any info I appreciate it.
    Last edited by poorman; 12-15-2018 at 03:40 AM.

Clean the carb. The inlet needle is gummed up. Also look at the carb boot. They can crack and let extra air thru. It causes lean air fuel mixture. The blast's lend them selves to a lot of customizing. Don't let other's dog you on owning a blast there great bikes. I own one along with a s2t, s1, xb9s, and a xb12scg.
    Matt
    http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/g...psaob7ufhw.jpg

Thanks Matt I did clean the carb and got it running somewhat better. I also put a new intake boot on it and installed the airbox. I don't have the filter yet its in the mail. Now my problem is it will start right up but it backfires through the carb, I noticed I don't have the gasket that goes between the carb and airbox. Would that cause the backfire? I did order one I just have not received it yet. Thanks again and that is a nice looking Buell.

Poorman

Loose1

That is the best looking Blast I have ever seen !!!

Are you running it without the air filter installed? If you are it will make it run lean, and backfiring thru the carb is a lean sign. The gasket between the carb and airbox isn't that important. You can also try spraying carb cleaner on the carb boot and joints while it's running and see if the rpm's raise. If they do you have an air leak.

I converted my blast the fuel injection almost 10 years ago so I could easily adjust my fuel and timing needs.

Thanks, sliver. Erik Buell wanted to ride it really bad one of the years I brought it to home coming but he was too busy. It draws people every time I bring it out, people think it's a factory bike.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Loose1

That is the best looking Blast I have ever seen !!!
    Yeah, it is. I'd never thought an XB swingarm would mate up... but then again , why wouldnt it?

Very cool.

What A Hoot! good looking Blast, or Mini STT! MUAHHAHAHAHAHA