Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MLV question

Quote Originally Posted by cossack84 View Post
    What is dwell if you dont mind explaining please.
    Cooter is soooo old, he remembers 'dwell'.

Dwell (at least in points in ignition systems) was the time between when the coil has time to build up a charge (points open) to when the points close "collapsing" the spark. I would guess Cooter means "duty cycle"... or the time between when the injector opens and "recharges" to open again. Duty cycle may not even be the correct term.

Hopefully he will chime in as soon as he finds his readers and gets back from the AARP meeting.

Last edited by 34nineteen; 12-17-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyXB View Post
    What will be your tuning strategy?
    I don't have an answer for you.
    Do you know what data point represents injector at max flow?

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Cooter is soooo old, he remembers 'dwell'.

Dwell (at least in points in ignition systems) was the time between when the coil has time to build up a charge (points open) to when the points close "collapsing" the spark. I would guess Cooter means "duty cycle"... or the time between when the injector opens and "recharges" to open again. Duty cycle may not even be the correct term.

Hopefully he will chime in as soon as he finds his readers and gets back from the AARP meeting.

Hey that makes perfect sense. I appreciate the explanation.

I always use mine on Cheve tune ups, back in the day.IMG_3733.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-17-2018 at 10:40 PM.

IMG_20181217_213148.jpg

Works fine on my bike!

Old people rule !

Dude:

Those old dawgs are right^^^^, Dwell is exactly the same meaning regarding points and injectors. Time open.
    "Duty Cycle" is used to describe the same thing but as {time open vs. time closed}. Usually used as "maximum duty cycle" which would be the recommended maximum open time. 100% Maximum duty cycle would be ok to leave energized (open) 100% of the time. Injectors don't like that, heat up, and don't meter well at high dwell/ high duty cycle.

Simple math:
    Gasoline is stoic at 14.7:1
    E85 is 10:1
    http://injector-rehab.com/shop/e85_injector_size.html

So either...
    Multiply your injector duty cycle by 1.47 and see if it's within it's happy range (it's not*)
    Or if you could multiply the stock injector size by 1.47 and you could (in theory) use the same map.

*255 represents the maximum on a Buell fuel map. Either 100% open OR the max duty cycle they want to run doesn't matter. It's the max input you can put. Look at the map and see how much of it is already maxed out. There is no room to just add almost 150% of the E85 needed to run well.

Heres a question... Why E85? It has less power (BSFC, BTU's whatever you like). Sure it has high octane but who cares? Unless you run super high compression, super advanced timing, or forced induction, you'll se no benefit from it besides buying a whole lot more of it. If you are building a forced induction, high compression, Buell motor, um... buy the damn injectors! I wanna see it!

Quote Originally Posted by cossack84 View Post
    Cooter thats right, 255 is a max value in 8 bit ADC format that you can enter into the fuel map. How ever that does not tell me how long the injector is staying open or whats more important the percentage of its maximum output.
    What is dwell if you dont mind explaining please.

Edit: how do you know for a fact that I will need new injectors. What specific data point tells you injectors are at max capacity? Sounds like you might know the answer to my question.

http://ecmspy.com/cgi-bin/detail_ld....DFI2&offset=21
    http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/minj.htm#size
    http://www.megamanual.com/flexfuel.htm

That's so funny ! Cooter the timing light is in the little compartment in back of the analyzer.
    Last edited by njloco; 12-18-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    That's so funny ! Cooter the timing light is in the little compartment in back of the analyzer.
    Montgomery Wards... are they even around anymore?

I'm with Cooter. Why E85? Did 100+ octane go the way of.... Montgomery Wards? Not knocking you, just asking the question.

I'm curious to see the end result as well.

Great info, thank you for the links. I must me extremely dense because I can't make sense of the first table you linked. If you could, please explain what pw1 and pw2 actually represent or stand for.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast