Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: My Buell xb9sx 2009 ISSUES Full Story

  1. #11
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    6,464
    Wow. Theres a LOT going on here
    A bike with lots of issues, trying to be repaired by not a mechanic, and the language barrier. This will be fun?

    SE: If you want to fix this yourself, you can! Quit starting new threads, you'll need all the info you can and this isn't Facebook. You will have to be patient. Are you patient? I will help you with diagnosis, but I won't go through the basics of how to use a screwdriver.

    1) Forget everything you think is the problem. Remember, you don't know what the problem is... You're looking for it. Remember that. Any assumption will cost you time/ money/ frustration.
    2) Get the manual download from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com
    3) Since this is a running problem with your bike, a good diagnostic tool is the program ECMDroid (Free on Googleplay). Get it and get familiar with the program. Read read read. RESIST the urge to assume it's a programming fault in the Buell ECM and go down that deep wormhole.
    4) ECMDroid communicates with the bike via Bluetooth. You'll need a Bluetooth Dongle. I like the one I got from Buelltooth.com
    5) While you are waiting for your Buelltooth to arrive, check all the basics. Disconnect the battery and clean the terminals with a wire brush, reconnect tightly. Do the same to all the ground wires (the manual, google, and this forum, have the locations).
    6) Do a LAF. Add a specific ground wire from the battery to the coil mount (Lunatics. Awesome. Fix.).
    7) Use a voltmeter at the battery to make sure you have 12.3-12.8VDC at rest, >9.6VDC while cranking, 13.5-14.7VDC at 2500RPM.
    8) Do NOT keep riding it, do NOT start it unless its for diagnosis and will be warmed up completely.
    9) Keep your eyes open. Are the electrics corroded? is something disconnected? Post a picture if you are unsure.
    10) Is the air filter clean? Did you fix the intake boot? Is there good gas in it? How do you know?

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Wow. Theres a LOT going on here
    A bike with lots of issues, trying to be repaired by not a mechanic, and the language barrier. This will be fun?

    SE: If you want to fix this yourself, you can! Quit starting new threads, you'll need all the info you can and this isn't Facebook. You will have to be patient. Are you patient? I will help you with diagnosis, but I won't go through the basics of how to use a screwdriver.

    1) Forget everything you think is the problem. Remember, you don't know what the problem is... You're looking for it. Remember that. Any assumption will cost you time/ money/ frustration.
    2) Get the manual download from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com
    3) Since this is a running problem with your bike, a good diagnostic tool is the program ECMDroid (Free on Googleplay). Get it and get familiar with the program. Read read read. RESIST the urge to assume it's a programming fault in the Buell ECM and go down that deep wormhole.
    4) ECMDroid communicates with the bike via Bluetooth. You'll need a Bluetooth Dongle. I like the one I got from Buelltooth.com
    5) While you are waiting for your Buelltooth to arrive, check all the basics. Disconnect the battery and clean the terminals with a wire brush, reconnect tightly. Do the same to all the ground wires (the manual, google, and this forum, have the locations).
    6) Do a LAF. Add a specific ground wire from the battery to the coil mount (Lunatics. Awesome. Fix.).
    7) Use a voltmeter at the battery to make sure you have 12.3-12.8VDC at rest, >9.6VDC while cranking, 13.5-14.7VDC at 2500RPM.
    8) Do NOT keep riding it, do NOT start it unless its for diagnosis and will be warmed up completely.
    9) Keep your eyes open. Are the electrics corroded? is something disconnected? Post a picture if you are unsure.
    10) Is the air filter clean? Did you fix the intake boot? Is there good gas in it? How do you know?

    This ^^^^^^^^^^

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Wow. Theres a LOT going on here
    A bike with lots of issues, trying to be repaired by not a mechanic, and the language barrier. This will be fun?

    SE: If you want to fix this yourself, you can! Quit starting new threads, you'll need all the info you can and this isn't Facebook. You will have to be patient. Are you patient? I will help you with diagnosis, but I won't go through the basics of how to use a screwdriver.

    1) Forget everything you think is the problem. Remember, you don't know what the problem is... You're looking for it. Remember that. Any assumption will cost you time/ money/ frustration.
    2) Get the manual download from Buellmods.com or Buelltooth.com
    3) Since this is a running problem with your bike, a good diagnostic tool is the program ECMDroid (Free on Googleplay). Get it and get familiar with the program. Read read read. RESIST the urge to assume it's a programming fault in the Buell ECM and go down that deep wormhole.
    4) ECMDroid communicates with the bike via Bluetooth. You'll need a Bluetooth Dongle. I like the one I got from Buelltooth.com
    5) While you are waiting for your Buelltooth to arrive, check all the basics. Disconnect the battery and clean the terminals with a wire brush, reconnect tightly. Do the same to all the ground wires (the manual, google, and this forum, have the locations).
    6) Do a LAF. Add a specific ground wire from the battery to the coil mount (Lunatics. Awesome. Fix.).
    7) Use a voltmeter at the battery to make sure you have 12.3-12.8VDC at rest, >9.6VDC while cranking, 13.5-14.7VDC at 2500RPM.
    8) Do NOT keep riding it, do NOT start it unless its for diagnosis and will be warmed up completely.
    9) Keep your eyes open. Are the electrics corroded? is something disconnected? Post a picture if you are unsure.
    10) Is the air filter clean? Did you fix the intake boot? Is there good gas in it? How do you know?
    thank you very much, just purchase the Dongle, it'll take 14 business day to get here... meanwhile i have started cleaning out grounds and checking out for loose wires

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    thank you very much, just purchase the Dongle, it'll take 14 business day to get here... meanwhile i have started cleaning out grounds and checking out for loose wires
    Good move on purchasing the Buelltooth dongle. It will help with troubleshooting and fault finding. You'll still need the ole noggin, but its a great tool to have.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    411
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    Thank you very much for your swift response,

    1. I did not get a map for the exhaust i just installed directly
    2. Yes i did check the hose. it was clamped firmly
    3. TPS issues Just like you describe the bike runs a bit better when warm. but sometimes it goes off when i ride, then i get the puff sound from the airbox or when i'm about to start off the puff sound from airbox
    4. Yes the BAS is plugged but i'm hoping to do a cleanup of all connectors/socket with grounds, since the bike was not kept in a good environment
    5. IAC is there a way to test if the sensor is still good?
    The leaks I was talking about with the hose would not be due to a loose clamp... it would be due to the plastic hose degrading over time and cracking, leading to small pinholes that leak gas back into the tank and not allowing your lines to pressurize properly. The way to test it is to take the pump assembly, dip it into a bucket of gas, and lift it out. If there is a leak in that house, it will squirt out in a stream. I had two pinhole leaks in that hose when I had originally thought it was a pump issue. After replacing the hose, pump went back to normal operation.
    Last edited by ocgreenmachine; 12-31-2018 at 01:55 PM.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,057
    Something low cost (but labor intensive) to look into is leaking intake manifold seals. If you are going to be spinning the wrenches yourself, it should be a low cost gamble (and may need done anyhow if the factory ones are still in place). If you are paying a mechanic, it could get pretty expensive.

    You can also do a check to see if the seals are leaking without tearing too far into it. There should be a bunch of videos and instructions on there as a Sportster is basically the same thing (but much easier to do, due to access).

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Something low cost (but labor intensive) to look into is leaking intake manifold seals. If you are going to be spinning the wrenches yourself, it should be a low cost gamble (and may need done anyhow if the factory ones are still in place). If you are paying a mechanic, it could get pretty expensive.

    You can also do a check to see if the seals are leaking without tearing too far into it. There should be a bunch of videos and instructions on there as a Sportster is basically the same thing (but much easier to do, due to access).
    Thank You very Much, i'll surely look into this also

  8. #18
    I appreciate everyone who took their time to responds to my issues.. I wish i found this thread earlier.. @cooter @lunaticfringe thank you all.

    Sorry i did not give feedback earlier. I was away on field work. IT Stuff..

    I ordered for the buelltooth and package got missing, took a while to claim refund policy. but during the wait, i purchased few sensors, i was getting error
    11 tps (Bought this)
    13 oxygen (Bought this)
    15 intake air temp (Bought this)
    33 fuel pump
    44 Bank angle sensor (Bought this)
    45 side stand sensor
    34 iac (Bought this)
    37 speed sensor

    But still got error. So i had to re-order for another dongle. Today i tried to read the error, and found that those errors were saved on the ecm. Now i have lots of sensors i don't need now

    i ran a check and only side stand error is left, still bike don't sound very smooth with bad idle. I am going to try the re-breather mod and change spark plugs and yes i bought a new battery also.

    I have also done TPS reset after fitting a new TPS.



    Sorry for my bad English

  9. #19
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    6,464
    New spark plugs is a good idea for a guess.
    Can you post a video of it idling cold and warm? Buells aren't known to be "smooth".

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    New spark plugs is a good idea for a guess.
    Can you post a video of it idling cold and warm? Buells aren't known to be "smooth".
    Okay will do after spark plug change. thank you



Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •