Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Buell xb9sx 2009 ISSUES Full Story

My Buell xb9sx 2009 ISSUES Full Story

Hello, I'm sorry to bother everyone again with my issues, I have not been totally transparent about my bike issues, so i was unable to get full support,

On my previous threads i was complaining about the issues with my bike without giving a full detail about the current state of the bike, I appreciate all those who took their time to help me with my previous issue, they were of great help, Thank you very much.

I got this bike from a dealer shop although it was not new. it had about 15k miles on it

1. I had issues with the stock exhaust, couldn't really remember what went wrong but i was still very happy about the bike so i jumped on ebay and spent almost 1000USD on getting a termignoni exhaust.

2. Few months later, i started having issues with bike performance i took it to my mechanic who happens to help with my previous bikes (Hornet and Xj6) That happened to be my greatest regret. He told me the fuel pump was bad that i would have to get a replacement. so i paid to get another pump, Well he went ahead and fixed another pump but the issue got worse. I'm always away cos of work. SO i did could not monitor what he was doing... Then he called me that the fuel pump was totally condemned that i need to buy a complete pump. I got angry and left the bike there with him.. During this period i was out of the country for training and could not have the bike towed home. I told my friend to help me get a complete pump. So we got one off ebay fairly used. After removing my old pump we noticed my mechanic had already removed the regulator it was a pretty mess. We got An 04 pump instead of an 09 then thanks to lunaticfringe and other members i was able to fix the pump and then i started noticing some newer problems with the bike, The Check Engine Light was always On

When i went to pick up the bike, It was parked is a very WET Environment and was not covered, The side stand sensor had stopped working i guess due to where it was parked. So i rode home, the bike was performing even worse, it would not rev it kept backfiring, so i bought injector cleaner and filled up my tank, then poured half of the cleaner into the bike, few rides later the bike cleared out a bit.

Although i wasn't getting good rev without the bike backfiring and having funny sounds coming out of the airbox. I jumped on this platform and i was told to do a TPS reset. I did the reset but still couldn't get a good turnout. So i saw a post on how to do a self diagnostics. I got my first error, LunaticFringe gave me a solution that it was stuck self plug cleaning. I followed his instruction but still the CEL was still on. Few days later, i tried to check the error codes, I found out that the code has changed i was having new series of code

11 tps
    13 oxygen
    15 intake air tempera
    33 fuel pump
    44 Bank angle sensor
    45 side stand sensor
    34 iac
    37 speed sensor

Current State of the bike:::
    1. It would start but does not idle. So i have to apply bit of throttle, When the Bike is hot the idle becomes stable at least it would not go off
    2. The bike does not have a quick response until i shift to next gear
    3. Another thing when i stop at a red light on turning green the bike has this backfire sound from the airbox, i have to throttle hard to get a response

Error 37 says i have a bad speed sensor, but my odometer reads accurately (i guess)
    Error 33 says i have a bad fuel pump, but the bike starts although when the bike goes off due to bad idling i get loader noise from the pump

So guys i need all the help i can get i have missed riding this bike and i'm not ready to get rid of the bike

Oh I forgot to add my termignoni exhaust has been damaged because water had accumulated inside the exhaust, after lots if reving the exhaust tore out... I could not fix the exhaust now I have my old yoshimura exhaust on it

I appreciate all your input

NB:: Sorry i may find it difficult to express myself in writing ( Bad English) or inadequate words to use

I wish i found this forum earlier
    Last edited by samuelseggs; 12-27-2018 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Left out a detail

There are a lot of things here...

1.) I wasn't aware Termignoni made an exhaust for the XB. Did you get a corresponding map for the exhaust or did you just run as is?

2.) When you got the pump (I assume full assembly?) did you check the plastic hose that connects the pump to the regulator for any leaks? Over time the plastic gets brittle and if there is a small leak there, your pump will be constantly working hard to maintain pressure in the line.

3.) TPS could be the sensor on its way out. I had something similar with my bike (09' xb12s) when I purchased it used (would not hold idle, would start fluctuating and then cough out unless throttle was applied but ran better when warmed up. Turned out to be a bad TPS sensor) but as others here will chime in, there are a lot of things to check, so wait on throwing parts at it. File it away as a possible issue.

4.) Bank angle sensor... make sure everything is plugged in under the seat. It is possible your mechanic unplugged stuff while working on the bike and didn't put everything back together again.

5.) IAC... this can be cleaned relatively easily to check if it is dirty and gummed up (info can be found via google)

6.) Jacob Stark and various other people here on the forums and FB page are good resources to further diagnose the source of your problems, but there are a few of the items that pop up to the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by ocgreenmachine View Post
    There are a lot of things here...

1.) I wasn't aware Termignoni made an exhaust for the XB. Did you get a corresponding map for the exhaust or did you just run as is?

2.) When you got the pump (I assume full assembly?) did you check the plastic hose that connects the pump to the regulator for any leaks? Over time the plastic gets brittle and if there is a small leak there, your pump will be constantly working hard to maintain pressure in the line.

3.) TPS could be the sensor on its way out. I had something similar with my bike (09' xb12s) when I purchased it used (would not hold idle, would start fluctuating and then cough out unless throttle was applied but ran better when warmed up. Turned out to be a bad TPS sensor) but as others here will chime in, there are a lot of things to check, so wait on throwing parts at it. File it away as a possible issue.

4.) Bank angle sensor... make sure everything is plugged in under the seat. It is possible your mechanic unplugged stuff while working on the bike and didn't put everything back together again.

5.) IAC... this can be cleaned relatively easily to check if it is dirty and gummed up (info can be found via google)

6.) Jacob Stark and various other people here on the forums and FB page are good resources to further diagnose the source of your problems, but there are a few of the items that pop up to the top of my head.
    Thank you very much for your swift response,

1. I did not get a map for the exhaust i just installed directly
    2. Yes i did check the hose. it was clamped firmly
    3. TPS issues Just like you describe the bike runs a bit better when warm. but sometimes it goes off when i ride, then i get the puff sound from the airbox or when i'm about to start off the puff sound from airbox
    4. Yes the BAS is plugged but i'm hoping to do a cleanup of all connectors/socket with grounds, since the bike was not kept in a good environment
    5. IAC is there a way to test if the sensor is still good?

Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    but i'm hoping to do a cleanup of all connectors/socket with grounds, since the bike was not kept in a good environment
    Do this before you go much further. A bad/weak ground connection can present itself in all kinds of ways, including poor running.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    Do this before you go much further. A bad/weak ground connection can present itself in all kinds of ways, including poor running.
    Already on it but can i see all grounds in the manual so i don't keep removing random wires??

Quote Originally Posted by samuelseggs View Post
    Already on it but can i see all grounds in the manual so i don't keep removing random wires??
    The main culprits are usually under the seat or behind the headlight/near the steering head. Lunaticfringe in all of his wisdom and generosity has shared this info before on the board. A search should pull them up. Also, dont forget the heavy gauge cable under the air cleaner cover, and where the rear subframe attaches to the front/fuel tank.

Some people have had good luck running a separate ground wire from the neg batt terminal to the coil ground as well to help in running.

Also, dont forget to check the battery terminal connections and where the negative wire connects to the sub frame.

and for fun....

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...K-THEM-GROUNDS
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 12-27-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Inactive
    Lunaticfringe in all of his wisdom and generosity has shared this info before on the board. A search should pull them up.

thanks for the very kind words aaron. appreciate that!

i know what happened to your bike...i know what's wrong with it...i know the remedies. but suggest you follow the advice given above and contact either Jacob Stark or other assorted board members. they're very smart and know alot about these bikes. i'm pretty dumb and don't know much at all about motorcycles particularly buells.

Getting advice from John is a lot taking a shot of whiskey (or is it whisky?)

It’s a down home honest best attempt at advice. It’s not a Shirley Temple or some foo foo craft Root Beer (34:19 likes craft Root Beer), and it’s not for the meek or just anyone. It’s when you want an honest, unadulterated answer to your question with no pulled punches.

Sure, there’s more than one way to skin a cat, but if your looking for some solid guidance and instruction it’s hard to beat the 100 proof Pennsylvanian moonshine.

(That Cooter guy is a pretty smart cookie as well)
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 12-28-2018 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    The main culprits are usually under the seat or behind the headlight/near the steering head. Lunaticfringe in all of his wisdom and generosity has shared this info before on the board. A search should pull them up. Also, dont forget the heavy gauge cable under the air cleaner cover, and where the rear subframe attaches to the front/fuel tank.

Some people have had good luck running a separate ground wire from the neg batt terminal to the coil ground as well to help in running.

Also, dont forget to check the battery terminal connections and where the negative wire connects to the sub frame.

and for fun....

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...K-THEM-GROUNDS
    Thank you very much, this was helpful

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticfringe View Post
    Lunaticfringe in all of his wisdom and generosity has shared this info before on the board. A search should pull them up.

thanks for the very kind words aaron. appreciate that!

i know what happened to your bike...i know what's wrong with it...i know the remedies. but suggest you follow the advice given above and contact either Jacob Stark or other assorted board members. they're very smart and know alot about these bikes. i'm pretty dumb and don't know much at all about motorcycles particularly buells.
    Thank you for your response, I'd greatly appreciate your input, you've been a great help previously. Please i'll also need your help with this also. Please!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast