Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idle smelling gas

Idle smelling gas

Guys, my 2008 Uly with stock fuel maps smells gas while idling. Yesterday I let it idling for about 20 minutes inside the garage and got up to my apartment. When I got back down to the garage it was impregnated. Very bad smell even 20 metres away from the bike. Also my clothes get smelly after any short ride.
    My first question would be if this is something normal with these bikes but I dont think it is. Fuel injected engines, in theory, should run stoich and I am sure its EGO correction is enabled also for idle region.
    And the second question as a consequence of the first one is obvious: what can be wrong? Intake leaks?
    Oh and the only thing not stock related to the ECM is the AMC which is disabled and the exhaust port locked open.
    Thank you all.

1- Is it possible you recently put too much gas in it ?
    2- Did you try doing a TPS reset, very easy with 08 and newer bikes.
    If not the above, check around your injector's, make sure they aren't leaking.
    The other guys will be along soon with other suggestions.
    No, it is not normal !

^^^ overfull^^^ good guess

20 minutes, way tooo long to idle.

If your cloths smell of gas, there is some thing going on in the fuel lines under air cleaner base , I would start by taking apart and look at all the connections.
    Last edited by Silverrider; 12-28-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Where is the gas smell coming from? Is it just leaking gas or running really rich?

Guys thanks for all replies. But it is not the case I overfilled the tank, because it always smelled like this. I am sure it is something related to bad burning or fuel mixture or anything related to this. It comes from the exhaust. It smells like an old VW Beetle, for the old school folks LOL.
    Fuel maps are stock so even if they were somewhat rich the EGO should apply corrections and everything would be fine.

If you dont have one yet, pick up a Buelltooth dongle and a copy of ECMDroid. That should give you a pretty good idea of what is going on.

What others said:
    Idling an air-cooled engine in an enclosed space for 20 minutes is unnecessary, dangerous, and annoys the neighbors.
    It should NOT smell like gas. Leaky intake seals cause a lean condition, not rich. The ECM would compensate with an AFV correction.

1) Does it smell like raw gas? Yummy Or does it sting your eyes like unburned combustion?
    2) How do you know your fuel maps are "stock"?
    3) Why do you keep talking about EGO correction?
    4) What is your current AFV?
    5) If you are convinced its a ECM issue, load a different map (Stock muffler/Race would be a good one) and see.
    6) What are the running parameters of your O2 on live data? Is it lazy? Is it new?

another question.... if you did let it idle for an actual 20 minutes, did the cooling fan kick on at all?

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    If you dont have one yet, pick up a Buelltooth dongle and a copy of ECMDroid. That should give you a pretty good idea of what is going on.
    I do have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast