Thread: Repositioning Battery and Lithium Upgrade

Hybrid View

Repositioning Battery and Lithium Upgrade

I never liked the way the battery is positioned in this bike.

Not sure about the stock battery but the aftermarket one I got didn't allow for much space between the frame and the battery case for the rear seat spade to slide in.

And the positive terminal is awfully close to the metal frame. They made some plastic shroud thing but I had a heck of time getting the positive terminal on with it in place.

AND the bike seems to need a real good jolt to start. After a cold week here she wouldn't start. She turned over a couple times but no joy.

So decided to try a Lithium since the price dropped below $100 before Christmas. These things are crazy light. They feel like an empty plastic box.

Though the vendor confirmed the model he was sending would fit the 1125, it didn't per the existing battery as the terminals are reversed.

So just decided to mount it backwards from the way it was. Now everything has more space and the terminals aren't near the frame.

And the rear seat cowl slides in easily.

Anyone see why this might be a bad idea?

Though much smaller than OEM it's solidly held down with the existing strap and comes with blocks to enlarge its footprint.

It started the bike with authority and charging voltages haven't changed.

I'll follow up if she craps out, explodes or catches fire.

IMG-20190102-110428.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-1 View Post
    They made some plastic shroud thing but I had a heck of time getting the positive terminal on with it in place.

That piece of plastic wound up costing me about $12K in the long run!

Ouch 34:19, that sucks.

OP: I put a Li-ion in my XBStt about a year ago and it has loved the 340cca! Honestly with the higher charging voltages the 1125's have, they were probably meant for that type of battery. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Ouch 34:19, that sucks.
    Long story short... I came into the dealer to buy that cover (mine was missing on the CR), and left (eventually) with a Roadster.

34:19 can you elaborate on that little red clip that protects the positive battery terminal. I did a google search, a quick search on Badweather and on buellxb. My CR is missing the red clip and numerous other little plastic bits. I was going to use a good quality vinyl electrical tape to add protection to the frame to prevent the positive terminal from shorting to the frame. The setup of the battery is RIDICULOUS!

LOL - "(mine was missing on the CR), and left (eventually) with a Roadster. "

For some INSANE reason the previous owner discarded any part that was smaller than a bread box and that he deemed unnecessary! I build my own upper oil cooler bracket out of a small piece of scrap metal because the PO felt that a simple hose clamp was sufficient. For some reason he left the noise solenoid?

Just like houses, why does the PO have to be a complete MORON!

Quote Originally Posted by pdksh View Post
    34:19 can you elaborate on that little red clip that protects the positive battery terminal. I did a google search, a quick search on Badweather and on buellxb. My CR is missing the red clip and numerous other little plastic bits. I was going to use a good quality vinyl electrical tape to add protection to the frame to prevent the positive terminal from shorting to the frame. The setup of the battery is RIDICULOUS!
    The part was fairly inexpensive from the dealer. Its been a few years, but this looks like it. Pic 2 and 3. I remember it wrapping around the subframe and being pretty basic. The PO of my 1125CR had removed it and wrapped that frame section with electrical tape. I think the part # is Y1015.1AM?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../136959/page1/
    Last edited by 34nineteen; 01-03-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 34nineteen View Post
    The part was fairly inexpensive from the dealer. Its been a few years, but this looks like it. Pic 2 and 3. I remember it wrapping around the subframe and being pretty basic. The PO of my 1125CR had removed it and wrapped that frame section with electrical tape. I think the part # is Y1015.1AM?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../136959/page1/
    I went through my spare Harley and Buell parts this weekend to see if I still had the part. I dont