Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XB8sx charge question

XB8sx charge question

Good morning, my wife has a 2006 xb9sx, had the charge light flash on a few times quickly while riding, charged the battery, then bike would not stay charged, replaced battery, started it up, charged light flashed for about 10 seconds and now headlights are out, I am thinking regulator is bad? Not mechanically included so any advice would be good

Jeez just look at my header on the thread, didn't know Buell had an xb8. Gonna need reading glasses ��

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittboy View Post
    Good morning, my wife has a 2006 xb9sx, had the charge light flash on a few times quickly while riding, charged the battery, then bike would not stay charged, replaced battery, started it up, charged light flashed for about 10 seconds and now headlights are out, I am thinking regulator is bad? Not mechanically included so any advice would be good
    do you have a volt meter or simple multi-meter to check current flow/perform electrical checks with and if so do you know how to use it? if so report back and i'll walk you thru all the checks to determine what's wrong and provide solutions for same.

Yes i have a volt meter. Never used it but i appriciate the help to get the problem cortected.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittboy View Post
    Yes i have a volt meter. Never used it but i appriciate the help to get the problem cortected.
    DO THIS AS FOLLOWS:
    1-disconnect negative cable from battery. connect battery to a REAL CHARGER. not some garbage tender but a real charger. charge @ 6 amps for approx. 20 minutes to insure full charge.
    2-remove negative cable from frame attachment point. thoroughly clean both ends of negative cable and grounding point. after full charge replace both ends of negative cable to original attachment points.
    3-set multi-meter to DC VOLTS. pin the meter leads to the battery and you should see approx. 13.2 DC VOLTS. if substantially LOWER than that stop right there. your battery is shot. replace it. if volts satisfactory then proceed.
    BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THE STEPS BELOW REMOVE SEAT...REMOVE FUSEBOX LID...CHECK EVERY FUSE BUT PARTICULARLY THE LIGHTS AND THE BATTERY FUSE. REPLACE IF BLOWN.
    4-start the bike. now check battery in precisely the same fashion as #3 above. at 1000rpm idle you should see approx. 13 volts. rev to 3000rpm and hold there. you should now see approx. 13.8-14.7 volts. if so the charging system is working fine. if not proceed to below steps.
    5-your VR ground AND headlight system/switch grounds for the SX model is affixed to 1 of 2 points as follows: FOUR BLACK WIRES attached to TWO ROUND LOOP TERMINALS attached to small pinch bolt at upper triple tree.......OR.....to a #27 torx screw attached to the STEERING HEAD ASSEMBLY. they have broken. hence the charging system has failed as well as the headlights. you should also disconnect the left side switch gear assembly and clean the hi/low headlight switch assembly.
    6-remove the front drive pulley plastic cover. that will reveal your charging system #77 connector. green arrow in attached pic. pull it apart...check for burned wires...check for corrosion....repair as required.
    if and when completing all the steps above that i've given you and still no lights or charging suggest you seek out competent local tech/shop to assist.
    452650.jpg6369_20110618103151_L.jpg

Thanks lunaticfringe will do these steps in morning and let you know.
    Thanks for the help.

Lunatic has this nailed perfectly I'd like to add to keep your eye on the voltmeter while cranking the bike, you should have more than 9.6V. Any less and is usually a sign of a bad battery or less likely a high draw on a bad starter.

Is this on the City-X?? I'm in town for the next couple days if you can run it down to El Segundo I'll happily check it out! I might even have an extra used battery.

Hi cooter yes it's the xb9 sx .has a brand new battery, have just cleaned the terminals and made sure battery had charge,will get back to you

Check volts after cleaning terminals and checking fuses,with a new battery it shows about12.7 at idle and at 3000 rpm it still stayed around 12.7. I will do the other steps tomorrow in daylight

Oh and headlights still out, did not see charge light on in the few minutes I ran it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast