Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XB8sx charge question

What does your voltmeter show for battery voltage at rest?

Is that black plug for a side stand switch? That would make in not start if it's unplugged or not a good connection.

Shows about 12.6 volts

Inactive
    Put cover and seat back on and when it would not start I wilggle the black connector next to the grey one that lunatic posted on page one, that would cause the v twin dash light to intermittently go on and off, that is from the stator correct?

YES. service manual CHAPTER 7-IMG 37

Is that black plug for a side stand switch? Cooter: he's referring to stator connector plug #46. come on man.

moving/wiggling the #46 connector results in flashing CEL????? FAULTY CONNECTOR AND/OR BURNED WIRES
    "buzzes when you hit on off switch then nothing"????? IT'S SUPPOSED TO. THAT SOUND IS THE FUEL PUMP PRIMING.
    "cranks but it was a no start"???? you have turned both the ignition and kill switch on and off repeatedly....you have attempted to start repeatedly.....you have dicked with this thing for over a week now. the result? YOU HAVE FOULED YOUR SPARK PLUGS

you're in over your head now. seek someone locally who's familiar with either buells or late model sportsters for assistance.

I thought the grey one was stator? I dunno... this whole thing is a bit confusing. I totally agree the plugs are probably fouled now

Taking it to jim at v twin thunder tuesday. Will let you all know results.

Post up here before you approve any work. I don't know that shop and I'd hate for you to get ripped off for a simple fix.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittboy View Post
    Taking it to jim at v twin thunder tuesday. Will let you all know results.
    he might know this but tell him:

1-smell the primary fluid. smells burned??? stator is shot.
    2-replacing the VR...which by the way...is in all likelihood your problem....the correct OEM part # is Y1302.02A8
    3-your 2006 uses a 3-phase VR....not a single-phase like 2008 and later XB's. if he's replacing the VR with an aftermarket one he'll need to know that.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 05-24-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Thanks Lunaticfringe, his ratings are very high and he has mucho experience with Buell also, I really feel confident with the bike being there. Keep you posted

Just got bike back from jim. Had to clean and shim the negative cable, then he found that the headlight cage had need pushed against the front on the steering head somehow, he repaired the cage, replaced headlight bulbs and fixed some pinched wiring , had to replace fork seals that were leaking, new fork oils and back is safe and back in the garage until the so cal rain finally stops.

So after all that, it was just some corrosion on the battery negative cable? Nothing broken at all?

Wish I could have fixed it for you, but happy you're back on the road

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast