Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: XB8sx charge question

Headlights burning out can be a sign of a voltage regulator failing (overcharging), but according to your post, it's not charging at all Check the fuses and connectors like Lunatic said. R&R (and wiggle) the 4 relays as well. The VR needs a signal to turn on.

I'm leaving Wednesday and will be gone for awhile, so get ahold of me soon if you'd like my help in person

I will check those tomorrow, may have to wait till you get back �� Should I get a regulator and put it on? Also are the relays available at auto pats store?

I wouldn't start throwing money at random guesses without at least some very basic diagnosis. Just follow what Lunatic said and that will narrow it down tremendously. Pull the fuses and look at them, any blown? Just the act of pulling and reinstalling them can clean the terminals, same goes for the relays, note they are the same and will be OK in different spots (note the orientation).

It is raining today, but see if we can get together maybe tomorrow? It won't take long to check.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittboy View Post
    Oh and headlights still out, did not see charge light on in the few minutes I ran it
    XB's do NOT have a "charge light". what you're probably referring to is the CEL(check engine light). on the right side of your dash is a green light neutral indicator.....orange light CEL....red light oil pressure. the orange CEL light is the one in the middle of the vertical stack with V-twin piston logo on it. you have been observing that light either constantly lit or randomly lit because you have stored fault codes 16 & 36...both for low voltage status.
    keep using your multi-meter as follows:
    1-remove headlight bucket. detach both wiring plug ends which exposes bases of both bulbs. set your meter to OHMS. peg each meter lead to each bulb terminal end. you should see 0 ohms. if you see infinite ohms both bulbs are burned out. replace with H7 high-intensity style. sylvania is a nice choice and readily available. if both burned out in all likelihood so is your VR.
    2-access your #77 connector from #6 on the list above that i originally posted up for you. then watch the below vid. this is an easy check for your charging system and stator in particular. all done with your multi-meter.

and to answer your relay question click the link below and read my info along with a few others. gives you all readily available cross references. all are 20 amp...all XB relays are the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hcoRSjJ3Ic

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...ross-reference

Yes it is the middle orange light, I will check that tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be a bit calmer. Thanks for all of the help I will check and keep tou all posted.

Well did further checking and headlights burnt out, check/cleaned connectors, fuses etc. did volt check and no change. Cooter lmk when you are coming back to so cal I will get it transporter to you somehow.

Put covers back on, went just to doublecheck voltage and instrument lights come on but bike will not start, also middle v twin light on cluster will occasionally flas. Really stumped now!!!

Put cover and seat back on and when it would not start I wilggle the black connector next to the grey one that lunatic posted on page one, that would cause the v twin dash light to intermittently go on and off, that is from the stator correct?

What do you mean "won't start". Cranks over fast and doesn't fire up? or Won't crank at all?
    Have you been charging the battery with a real charger?

Charging issues are VERY simple to fix. But you need to follow the steps one-by-one instead of jumping around if you want to fix it yourself, I will be back in town in about a month. If you want to ride it sooner, any decent motorcycle shop should be able to help you.

No all lights on cluster come on, buzzes when you hit on off switch the nothing when you hit ate start switch, did best I could checking evening. Batter was charged fully with nice charger , took about 20 minutes for charger to go off, when michelle cleaned the black connector next to the grey connector behind the big belt pulley cover, it was a no start

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast