Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 2009 XB12SCG with KEDA exhaust and ECM but which O2 sensor ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member antioch01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dade City Fl
    Posts
    19

    2009 XB12SCG with KEDA exhaust and ECM but which O2 sensor ?

    Just purchased a 2009 XB12SCG with the KEDA exhaust and ECM. I read on Dean Adams site that the ECM is tuned using a wide band O2 sensor.
    Does anyone know how to tell if the O2 sensor in the bike is narrow or wide band ? The sales info does not say the kit comes with a wide band sensor. And so far I have not found any contact info for Dean Adams.

  2. #2
    Senior Member d_adams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Just outside of St. Louis
    Posts
    3,454
    I'm right here.

    Have a look under the seat at the ecm. If it has an IDSPD sticker on it like this one, it's been tuned properly.


    ids ecm.jpg


    Once it's tuned correctly, it doesn't matter if it has a narrow band sensor or widebands.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    5,975
    and further... A wide band sensor is only used for tuning, not for normal (closed loop) operation. You can use a wideband sensor on the bike for normal operation, but must be used with a narrow band emulator for the ECM to recognize it.

    A wideband sensor will have 3 wires, a stock type narrow band sensor will have a single black wire. You might be able to see the top of the sensor right at the rear cylinder head in the exhaust head pipe, or pop the seat and try to look past the top of the rear shock and through the fan.

  4. #4
    Junior Member antioch01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dade City Fl
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    I'm right here.

    Have a look under the seat at the ecm. If it has an IDSPD sticker on it like this one, it's been tuned properly.


    ids ecm.jpg


    Once it's tuned correctly, it doesn't matter if it has a narrow band sensor or widebands.
    Thanks, I actually found the receipt with the other paperwork I got with the bike, and the guy that answered told me it should be fine with the stock sensor. The sticker is also on the ECM.
    The reason I was asking is the way the throttle surges from 900 to 2000 when first started, and sometimes stalls out a couple of times. After it warms up some it smooths out. I always thought an injection system started immediately and idled smooth. Just wanted to be sure it was not an issue with the O2 sensor and leaning out. Do all the Buell / Harley engines act like this when first started ? Do the Rotax engines run like this ? I really like the way it idles and sounds once warmed up.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Cooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Crawling up your skirt
    Posts
    5,975
    No. It is not running correctly, and the ECM does not even use the O2 sensor during cold starts, it is pre-programmed fuel map.

    I would not assume it is the ECM causing the issue because if you mess with the tuning, you can mask the existing issue.

    Properly diagnose and fix the bike FIRST.

  6. #6
    Senior Member d_adams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Just outside of St. Louis
    Posts
    3,454
    I'd be looking at the intake seals for leaks if it were my bike. Bike should start fine cold, smooth idle and run like a top when warm. All of my tuning has been done with IDSPD over the last few years, it's ALL been done via wideband logging with Tim doing most of the calibration work. I still have my 09 xb12x and it's got about 18k miles on it now. Still purrs like an angry kitten.

    One thing to try first is an IAC reset. Start the bike when cold and do NOT touch the throttle for 10+ minutes straight. No blipping, nothing. Put a fan on it to keep it cool if required. After 10 minutes, the IAC will reset/average out.
    Last edited by d_adams; 02-20-2019 at 02:36 AM.

  7. #7
    Junior Member antioch01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dade City Fl
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by d_adams View Post
    I'd be looking at the intake seals for leaks if it were my bike. Bike should start fine cold, smooth idle and run like a top when warm. All of my tuning has been done with IDSPD over the last few years, it's ALL been done via wideband logging with Tim doing most of the calibration work. I still have my 09 xb12x and it's got about 18k miles on it now. Still purrs like an angry kitten.

    One thing to try first is an IAC reset. Start the bike when cold and do NOT touch the throttle for 10+ minutes straight. No blipping, nothing. Put a fan on it to keep it cool if required. After 10 minutes, the IAC will reset/average out.
    Thanks,,, I was hoping it was not the intake seals but will check them. The bike only has 4500 miles, but I know that is not a tell tail. I am going to try the reset you suggest and if that does not fix it I will clean the IAC.

  8. #8
    Junior Member antioch01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dade City Fl
    Posts
    19
    Well that was the easiest fix ever, thanks Dean,,,, 10 minutes + and no more surging. Checked the seals and no RPM change when sprayed. Also the IAC was clean.

    Thanks guys for the help. This is the first time I have had this bike apart,, and it was refreshing to wrench on what looks and feels like a new bike. And now starts and idles like one.IMG_1013.jpgIMG_1011.jpg

  9. #9
    Senior Member Silverrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,320
    Very nice bike, glad you got running smooth, I have the same bike. Dean & Cooter know the stuff. I am going to be putting on a rear hidden Brembo brake mod.

    IMG_0106.jpg

  10. #10
    Junior Member antioch01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dade City Fl
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    Very nice bike, glad you got running smooth, I have the same bike. Dean & Cooter know the stuff. I am going to be putting on a rear hidden Brembo brake mod.

    IMG_0106.jpg
    I thought I saw pics of your scoot a few posts back,,,, damn nice,,,,, need a little info about that Muff though.........Looks sweet.
    I bought this scoot instead of a Duc 848 Streetfighter. For my age and taste this scoot is as close to a streetrod bike as it gets. Puts a grin on my face from the time it starts to the time it is parked. I could care less how much faster the 848 is. As a matter of fact, I have a Kaw ZX-11 for sale because I no longer have a need for knee-draggin.



Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •