Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing regulator, polarity?

Hybrid View

replacing regulator, polarity?

Hello, XB12scg quit charging. Checked stator and it is O.K. have new regulator with new 77 connector included.

My question is, both wires from the regulator to the 77 are black. From the 77 to the battery is red/black. How do I know which wire to hook the red wire too?

Also, I don't have the special crimp tool that the instructions call for, can I crimp and solder using a regular 10ga crimping tool?

Thanks

Can't answer your connector question, (don't have the manual in front of me) but soldering is a good way to go. Remember heat kills semiconductors, always use a heat sink and low wattage iron. Solder that is 62% Tin, 36% Lead and 2% Silver has the lowest melting temperature, followed by 63% Tin and 37% Lead. Always use heat shrink tubing to cover the solder connection. In addition to insulating it also provides stress relief and prevent the copper/solder connection from work hardening and failing. This is important in areas where wiring is subject to vibration.

Hope this helps http://buellmods.com/

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by maintenceman View Post
    Hello, XB12scg quit charging. Checked stator and it is O.K. have new regulator with new 77 connector included.

My question is, both wires from the regulator to the 77 are black. From the 77 to the battery is red/black. How do I know which wire to hook the red wire too?

Also, I don't have the special crimp tool that the instructions call for, can I crimp and solder using a regular 10ga crimping tool?

Thanks
    chad: you do NOT want to cross them so here's how you correctly determine the proper connection.
    1-the 2 black wires from the VR provide 12volts DC....one wire negative and one wire positive. the NEGATIVE wire connects directly to the VR case. test it for OHMS and it will read 0. the OTHER black wire is your 12 volt positive wire.
    2-start bike and check the 2 black wires. this check MUST BE PERFORMED with the VR plugged IN. unplugging it will shut it down.
    3-after you've successfully determined which wire is your positive then connect it to the RED. the other wire obviously is connected to the black.
    NOTE: if choosing NOT to start and run bike to make this determination you can simply check with simple ohm meter as follows.....one pin of meter to VR case....other pin to wire end. the 12 VOLT NEGATIVE WIRE WILL READ ZERO OHMS......the 12 VOLT POSITIVE WIRE WILL READ INFINITE OHMS. *******THIS TEST DONE WITH OHM METER BLACK PIN CONNECTED TO VR CASE....RED PIN CONNECTED TO EACH WIRE END. it's the only method that works correctly.
    capiche?
    Last edited by user_deleted; 02-04-2019 at 03:17 PM.

The buell Whisper has spoken ! Great explaining ! John ^^^^^^

Thanks all. You helped mucho grandee. Got it working. Went for a 60 minute today in the twisties, ran freekin great.

Got to give a shout out to St. Paul Harley Davidson / Buell.... great folks. If you need parts... They are on top of it.

Thanks everyone for the input. lunaticfringe thanks for the specifics.
    Last edited by maintenceman; 02-05-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by maintenceman View Post
    Thanks all. You helped mucho grandee. Got it working. Went for a 60 minute today in the twisties, ran freekin great.

Got to give a shout out to St. Paul Harley Davidson / Buell.... great folks. If you need parts... They are on top of it.

Thanks everyone for the input. lunaticfringe thanks for the specifics.
    yes sir my pleasure. wasn't part of the discussion....isn't specifically mentioned in any SM or TSB but a VR with a strong reliable ground adds both longevity to the VR as well as a bit stronger DC voltage signal to the battery. part of what i check for when trouble-shooting a failing charging system.

So are you talking about the actual bolts that connect the VR to the bike? (as far as reliable ground) Or something else?

Inactive
    So are you talking about the actual bolts that connect the VR to the bike? (as far as reliable ground)

YES

Thanks for the answer buddy, I'll have to check mine out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast