Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ECM failure? Also anyone in NJ area want to help out with a spare?

Cool ECM failure? Also anyone in NJ area want to help out with a spare?

Heyo, so was riding my '03 XB9S over the weekend after finishing my complete engine rebuild over the winter. Have about 150mi on the bike since the rebuild, and the motor just cuts out. Pull to the side of the road, quickly figure out there's no spark.

Get home and confirmed the following:
    • Key on, lights light up, fuel pump primes, bike will crank, can smell fuel delivery, no spark
    • Swapped around the relays in the fuse block and verified fuses, no problem there
    • Have voltage but no pulsing ground at coil pack connector
    • Have voltage and signal from cam position sensor
    • Many error codes including 52,53,54,55,56 using the diagnostic jumper method

So couple questions:
    1. Fried ECM? Is there a better way to confirm before I start hunting one down?
    2. Anyone in the NJ area got a spare I can swap in to verify my problem?
    3. What year/models are ECMs interchangeable with?
    Last edited by fetherston; 02-18-2019 at 11:18 PM.

I would double check all your grounds !

XB9 bikes from 2003-2007.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buell-XB9-E...3k~:rk:29:pf:0
    Last edited by Silverrider; 02-18-2019 at 11:23 PM.

I'm in Jersey but I'm not pulling an ecm off either of my bikes....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    I would double check all your grounds !
    Grounds checked! Not it. Plus it wasn't an intermittent failure. The spark just stopped dead like a light.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedchop View Post
    I'm in Jersey but I'm not pulling an ecm off either of my bikes....lol
    haha nor would I expect you to. Looking for someone with a spare.

I'm sure John will jump in and walk you through EXACTLY what's wrong with your machine. If you're in South Jersey and you need help fixing it you're more than welcome to bring it over to my shop and we can tackle it together. If you rebuilt your motor I'm sure you're more than fine though.

CPS signal and no coil signal.

Check your kill switch

Inactive
    Have voltage but no pulsing ground at coil pack connector
    the ecm provides the negative pulse to the coil. classic failed ecm symptom.

NOTE: if the pump primes....and the motor cranks....the problems does NOT lie with the kill switch. when turning on ignition switch if the gauges sweep and the lights activate it is NOT the key switch fuse or key switch relay or ignition fuse.

i have seen a few instances where a fault with 1 or more of the below results in loss of ignition spark so do the below to rule out.

correct trouble-shooting for this is unique to the 2003 XB only and as follows:
    1-is your neutral indicator light working properly? if so then the switch is ruled out as the culprit.
    2-remove the 2 wires from your side-stand safety interlock switch and jump then with a simple wire. does it now start? if so replace the switch.
    3-in NEUTRAL try and start with clutch lever engaged and disengaged. does it now start? if so replace the switch.
    4-remove fuse box lid...flip over and look at schematic---locate diode fuse...confirm it is good and pointed in correct direction. also confirm ecm fuse is good. remove...check the spades....check the female fuse lugs...replace fuse if corroded or bad and now try to start.
    5-no success with any of the above? then you've fully confirmed your 5 stored fault codes. your ecm is terminal.

index.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 02-19-2019 at 11:58 AM.

I'm kinda putting the cart before the horse, but keep in mind if your ECM is in fact faulty you'll need ECMspy and a cable or ECM Droid and Buelltooth to reset your Throttle Position Sensor when you install your new ECM. Just something else to look for while you're parts shopping.

(Or maybe beg/borrow software and tools from a local if you dont plan on making use of them often)

I'm also in Jersey unfortunately but, and unfortunately again, do not have anything you need to check the bike. If you need an extra set of hands, I do have time.

Some really good ideas in here that I'll be looking at this weekend, thank you! The previous owner disabled the clutch and kickstand switch as part of the starter interlock, so it's possible that work has come undone. Also haven't checked the diodes. I'm certain it's not the killswitch, I can turn the key on with the switch off and once I turn the switch on the fuel pump will prime. Also have an ECM cable on order already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast