Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buell Engines 2009

It was s standard philosophy of teachings back in the 80s I was fortune enough to meet him and go to one of his seminars.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=19...30.A_T6paqPrYI

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob View Post
    It kind of reminds me of my former employer. You'd have to be old and a sort of a nerd to remember Digital Equipment Corp. ( DEC ). Started and run by engineers, they made really good minicomputers and a couple main-frames. You had to get on a waiting list to buy one. And then their popularity and the lack of marketing concerns took them to failure.

HD rode the crest of super popularity and didn't pay attention to the motorcycle customer base while they made money on apparel. (I think). (seems to me)
    Loved the PDP-11. Hate Compaq and HP for essentially destroying what was left of DEC. During the opening ceremony when the name was changed from Compaq to HP pavilion, Fiorina got booed by most of the fans in attendance. Geeks the lot of us!

McDonnell Douglas brought Demming in to try and turn the company around. The union fought most of the changes which ended with them being sold to Boeing.

Quote Originally Posted by airbozo View Post
    Loved the PDP-11. Hate Compaq and HP for essentially destroying what was left of DEC. During the opening ceremony when the name was changed from Compaq to HP pavilion, Fiorina got booed by most of the fans in attendance. Geeks the lot of us!
    Yeah, Fiorina had a different idea. Poor ol Ken just didn't see it coming. First the RISC computing and then Sun and on and on. I worked on PDP10s (DECSystem 10) in a few locations including the Bay Area. All Dec 10s were at interesting places. SRI, NASA Ames, Intel, Stanford and Stanford Medical Center and more. I also worked at the Boerfink Erwin NATO war HQ in Germany.

I never learned too much about the PDP 11. The phrase does still echo though my memory "please say hello". (RSTS)

The day HP became official was my last day. I was a program manager by then and HP had their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverrider View Post
    He tried in the USA first in the 70s but we wouldn't listen so yes he took his practice to Japan. And we have never caught up as of yet. You are correct !
    WOW, something I learned in college finally became useful knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob View Post
    Yeah, Fiorina had a different idea. Poor ol Ken just didn't see it coming. First the RISC computing and then Sun and on and on. I worked on PDP10s (DECSystem 10) in a few locations including the Bay Area. All Dec 10s were at interesting places. SRI, NASA Ames, Intel, Stanford and Stanford Medical Center and more. I also worked at the Boerfink Erwin NATO war HQ in Germany.

I never learned too much about the PDP 11. The phrase does still echo though my memory "please say hello". (RSTS)

The day HP became official was my last day. I was a program manager by then and HP had their own.
    I was never in charge of any of the PDP-11's, but backed up the main guy in case he needed help. I worked at Amoco Production in Denver when the first of the PDP-11's got delivered. When they rolled the crate into our data center it looked like someone dropped it from a helicopter. When we opened the crate, things got worse. All of the boards were sitting at the bottom of the rack. DEC actually asked us to see if we could put it together again while they shipped out a replacement. Took us about a week to repair bent pins and rails, but once we plugged it in, it fired right up. Dec compensated us for our time and took it back to the test labs and studied it for years to find out why it still worked. It sat in one of their customer presentation centers until they went out of business as a model of reliability.

I spent some time in government installations when I worked at SGI. I had a semi-permanent visitor badge at NASA AMES.

Look up Future Flight Central. Very cool stuff. Any control tower in the world can be brought up in a couple of minutes.
    Waaay! Off! Topic!

But hey, did you know HD used to use SGI supercomputers to tune their exhaust notes? They used the SGI Octanes to design several of the bikes. I would be interested to know if Buell used them too.

Very interesting, Mr bozo. SGI kicked our butts also. Our VP of marketing was promoted from field service.
    Who was it? - Burrows? - sold NASA Ames a nut job. It was supposed to be 256 parallel computers but it ended up with only 64. I asked what the typical application would be; they said feed each processed the same problem and average the answers. Stanford Research Institute (SRI) was the most fun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12