Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buell Engines 2009

Buell Engines 2009

https://vimeo.com/318548377?fbclid=I...zaFFo_bejW9ND8

Great vid SR!

They were saying it was only about 4 months after they made that video that H-D abruptly pulled the plug. So sad to see all those happy faces fully into doing what they loved, not knowing the hammer was coming

It's obvious that Buell must have been the cause of H-D's problems. Really explains why H-D is so successful today {sarcasm}
    Last edited by Cooter; 02-22-2019 at 12:49 AM.

It's obvious that Buell must have been the cause of H-D's problems. Really explains why H-D is so successful today {sarcasm}
    Low blow...

I suppose you're set to cast your vote for Bernie and buy a shiny new Korean car cooter?

Har har smartypants I'm all American, Mo-Fo! I like the bikes from The Company, even had a few! But mis-managed is mis-managed and screwed is screwed

Don't you think H-D could have done a better job with us 3%'ers in 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Har har smartypants I'm all American, Mo-Fo! I like the bikes from The Company, even had a few! But mis-managed is mis-managed and screwed is screwed

Lol. Yeah probably....
    Last edited by BuellyBagger; 02-22-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post

It kind of reminds me of my former employer. You'd have to be old and a sort of a nerd to remember Digital Equipment Corp. ( DEC ). Started and run by engineers, they made really good minicomputers and a couple main-frames. You had to get on a waiting list to buy one. And then their popularity and the lack of marketing concerns took them to failure.

HD rode the crest of super popularity and didn't pay attention to the motorcycle customer base while they made money on apparel. (I think). (seems to me)

Dr. William Edwards Deming (1900-1993) was one of the pillars of the quality revolution after World War 2. As statistician, engineer, and a physicist, he’s the first American quality guru who brought the message of Quality to Japan in the early 1950s. He went to Japan to mentor industry leaders the quality management philosophies and use of statistical process control methods. He was regarded as the chief architect of their industrial success and an instrument to uplifting the state of post-war Japan.

For Deming, 94% of quality issues are caused by management problems. He devised a 14-point complete management philosophy in striving for quality, which can be applied to both small and large organizations, as well as both public and private sectors such as in healthcare, technology, manufacturing, education, etc.

Deming’s 14 Point Complete Management Philosophy:

Create constancy of purpose towards improvement of product and service.
    Adopt the new philosophy. We can no longer live with commonly accepted levels of delay, mistakes and defective workmanship.
    Cease dependence on mass inspection. Instead, require statistical evidence that quality is built in.
    End the practice of awarding business on the basis of price.
    Find problems. It is management’s job to work continually on the system.
    Institute modern methods of training on the job.
    Institute modern methods of supervision of production workers. The responsibility of foremen must be changed from numbers to quality.
    Drive out fear, so that everyone may work effectively for the company.
    Break down barriers between departments.
    Eliminate numerical goals, posters and slogans for the workforce asking for new levels of productivity without providing methods.
    Eliminate work standards that prescribe numerical quotas.
    Remove barriers that stand between the hourly worker and their right to pride of workmanship.
    Institute a vigorous program of education and retraining.
    Create a structure in top management that will push on the above points every day

The 14 principles above were credited for the global success of organizations which followed them like Toyota, Proctor & Gamble, Ritz Carlton, Harley-Davidson, and many others.

The Japanese picked up Deming's quality practice and schooled us in the 70's when it came to automobile manufacturing. America had to play catch-up in quality as the Toyotas sold like hot cakes.

He tried in the USA first in the 70s but we wouldn't listen so yes he took his practice to Japan. And we have never caught up as of yet. You are correct !

Wow! I'm positive Dr. Deming wrote a book. I'm going to buy it now.

#4 Hits hard for todays economy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast