Thread: ZTL caliper piston diameter

ZTL caliper piston diameter

Hi all,

For calculating the optimal brake force / handle feel I was wondering whether somebody can tell me the piston diameters of the ZTL 1 and ZTL 2 calipers?

Or maybe there is already a thread where this was posted which I haven't found?

Thanks!

Hi Adam.
    FWIW OEM, The ZTL2 uses a 19mm M/C and IIRC ZTL caliper uses a 18mm M/C.

I can tell you a ZTL M/C with a ZTL2 caliper is unusable. It's so soft, there's not enough piston stroke to brake lock, so I can confidently say don't vary the M/C size by more than 1 mm. Could you even find a 20mm M/C?

IMO, if the system is in good working order, you are much better off playing with different pad compounds. Motorcycles are much more sensitive to these ratios than cars are.

Har har. Us old guys need all the help we can get! I get my readers from The Home Depot, indestructible for $2.99

I was really replying to his question:
    Quote Originally Posted by adam.vath View Post
    For calculating the optimal brake force / handle feel
    Which makes the caliper piston dimension he wants...pointless. There isn't enough volume in a motorcycle system to use the M'C bore for a variable.

I should have started with "IDK but...". Actually, I should start EVERY post like that, right?! lol

As my penance for leading his tech question with my opinion, I went out to the garage and found some parts, and learned something Did you know all 3 pairs of ZTL pistons are different sizes? I didn't.

And the ZTL-2 were different center and end sizes. Tough to be super accurate with it on the bike, but I got repeatable results.