Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Performance 350 CCA Renegade Wicked Start Battery

High Performance 350 CCA Renegade Wicked Start Battery

I searched the forum and did not find any info on these batteries.
    The brand is Renegade and it is called a Wicked Start. All the other batteries I found were 200 to 240 CCA and were group size 14 amp. Renegade also offers a group size 14 amp, but also offers a group 16 amp with 350 CCA.
    I ordered one and just sent back a True GEL group 14 amp because it was only 180 CCA and did not spin the engine like it should.
    Just curious if anyone else has tried these Renegades. Price is not bad at $79 direct from them and includes shipping. It comes filled and charged, unlike the AGM batteries you have to fill. It is the same size as the 14 amp

https://www.renegadebattery.com/prod...=3697&group=66

Looks similar to the ETX14 batteries which are a solid performer for our bikes with some extra CCA.
    Similar dimensions and connection points. The extra CCA might be good because we all know cranking over a buell takes a little bit of oomph.
    Good Price as well.

Let us know how it works out. I am thinking it's gonna be a winner
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

I have not had any personal experience with that exact brand, but I see some warning flags on their claims.
    Buell's need 220CCA at a minimum for decent cranking performance. 180cca or 200cca batteries won't crank well and won't last.

The battery type you have to fill are regular Lead Acid batteries that cannot be used in a Buell. Liquid battery acid, mounted on its side, and gravity are not a good mix.

AGM stands for Absorbant Glass Mat and I'm unaware of any battery of that type that you have to fill yourself. They will come ready to install and are the style of battery supplied from the factory.

Li-Ion or Li-po are the only batteries I'm aware of that can reach that level of CCA performance in a size that fits. AGM battery power is truly a matter of physical size, I doubt the claims of that $79 AGM battery are remotely accurate.

Buells are known to be hard on batteries. IMO, not where you should try to save money. I call it "trip insurance" The first time a cheap battery fails, will cost you the difference.

Big Crank, Deka batteries have a great reputation and are reasonably priced. See if LunaticFringe can help you out.

That said, I currently (PUUUNNN) have a Shorai Li-po battery in the STT and love it. It is the stock OE battery part# for a EBR 1190 and needs it's specific charger. Expensive and totally worth it.

That is a lot of CCA, Here is what I have in mine, It kicks it over very well .

240CCA

https://www.batterymart.com/p-bm-mby...m-battery.html
    Last edited by Silverrider; 02-26-2019 at 11:36 PM.

The link wouldn't work for me, must be a west coast east coast thing.

Quote Originally Posted by njloco View Post
    The link wouldn't work for me, must be a west coast east coast thing.
    I think its a age thang !

https://www.batterymart.com/p-bm-mby...m-battery.html

That's more like it^^^. The 16.5amp Hour rating matches the 240CCA spec a bit better. $116 is a great price for that too!

The battery in it now is a genuine HD with 220 CCA. But the first hit sounds like it is not going to turn over and then it spins over. I installed this new True Gel MG14-BS, thinking a real GEL battery would have higher CCA,, wrong,,, it is even worse. After calling them (Chaparrel Motorsports) they said an AGM battery had more CCA's and they recommended going with a 16 amp. I was not aware they would be the same dimensions. Chaparrel was good about returning the GEL battery.
    So I searched for a premium high CCA AGM battery and this Renegade came up, and the engineering info sounds promising,,,, we will see.

I use to buy all my batteries from a DEKA distributor and the Big Cranks were good. But now we have moved 30 miles away from that guy.
    This Buell seems to have quite a bit more compression than my Streetglide, it has a Big Crank and spins with no issue.
    I am anxious to try this Wicked Start,,, it just sounds cool. Hope the performance is as good.

Inactive
    some bad info above....cooter spot on.....buyer beware! your very first clue that this thing is Chinese are both the "16 amp group" and the fraudulent CCA rating.

The battery in it now is a genuine HD with 220 CCA. But the first hit sounds like it is not going to turn over and then it spins over.

i call it "compression bump" and have explained it on here 100X or more. most high-compression V-twins have some sort of electronically controlled or cam-controlled comp release for at least 1 cylinder. even Briggs and Kohler garden-tractor motors have a comp release built into the little exhaust cam. neither buell XB's nor Sportsters ever have. consequently they're hell on batteries.

don't get too big of a boner over this renegade battery. it is a Chinese knock-off of the USA Deka. the CCA rating is bullsh*t.
    AGM batteries are NEVER "filled" at point-of-delivery. ever!

THE FACTORY INSTALLED OEM BATTERY in every Buell XB....XR1200....Sportster....V-rod....H-D big-twin built in the last 40 years is a DEKA house-branded for H-D/Buell.
    the Deka plant is right up the road from me. all USA content....employees....management....ownership. none of this Chinese garbage!
    Last edited by user_deleted; 02-27-2019 at 02:06 AM.

Now that you mention it, my lawn mower starts exactly like my Buell. Thanks for that explanation

I am smarter today than I was yesterday.

Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast