Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: XB9S – running very roughly – tried various fixes – need some expert help!

Thanks for your further thoughts. I do have ECMDroid and find it very useful.
    I like the idea of Cooters - put a valve in the fuel block - then in future very easy to test.
    I will also make up a fuel pressure test kit as a useful thing and when I have it anyone else in the UK is welcome to pop around to me and use it - I am in West Sussex - near Goodwood race track.
    The bike has no way of measuring fuel pressure - other than the consequences of too much/little via only the O2 sensor. So if I have the connector for hooking into the fuel supply hose at intake end - I could just feed fuel to it at 50psi from another source and it bike runs fine then another way to test/prove if the Buells own supply (pump/filter etc) is duff or not?
    Back to the workshop to keep on with the testing...

Inactive
    I like the idea of Cooters - put a valve in the fuel block - then in future very easy to test.
    this is a joke.....correct?

FUEL PUMP!

i'm seeing these units fail now at an alarming rate....2 per week on average. don't dick around piece-mealing a part here and there. utter waste of time.

symptoms??????????
    1-excessive crank-to-start time.
    2-lazy/annoying/border-line dangerous throttle response.
    3-refuses to start at all.
    4-pump primes but won't start.
    5-stratospherically and suddenly high AFV value......THE clue. why??? i'll leave that up to the self-absorbed ecm/data-logging/techno jibberish fags...but i'm GUESSING extended pulse-width to the injectors due to low pressure AND quantity causing a 147 AFV value. hmmmmmmmmmmm???????????

your bike is 16 years old and if it is an early production model the pump is 17 years old. SERVICE IT!

SEE SCHEMATIC:
    #10----replace. you'll have to hand-build fore and aft bushings out of simple fuel line. have explained how to do that.
    #13----replace.
    #29----replace.
    #20----replace.
    RED ARROW---probably ok but comes with kit. replace!

see ebay link. i keep kits in stock.....i keep #13 in stock.....i keep #10 cross-overs in stock.
    https://www.amazon.com/HFP-361BU-200.../dp/B00S25Q82Y

pump.jpg
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-02-2019 at 11:36 AM.

So John, correct me if I'm wrong, if it needs to be rebuilt or serviced as in the schematic, I would think that it would show a problem with the fuel pressure, yes ? If this is true, why not check the fuel pressure first before removing it and replacing the parts ? The reason I ask is because, I asked about being proactive with the maintenance on the bike, in particular the fuel pump and I was told, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so this is why I'm so curious about this..

Thanks

Ok LunaticFringe - All that I have been testing does point to this - Your summary of symptoms are spot on and thanks for taking the time to help out a complete stranger with advice.
    Looked at the Amazon link you gave - is this you?
    as if so happy to get it and #13 and #10 - but cant see 13 and 10 to order?

Inactive
    Looked at the Amazon link you gave - is this you?
    as if so happy to get it and #13 and #10 - but cant see 13 and 10 to order?

i don't sell on amazon...only ebay and website. i keep both complete new pumps as well as complete rebuild kits...a/m filters....fuel line....OEM O-rings in stock. if and when you pull the pump and find that it needs rebuilt just PM me and i'll get you fixed up.
    Last edited by user_deleted; 03-18-2019 at 01:02 PM.

John Will fix you up .
    64471910.jpg

O.k., sounds like very good advice, thanks for clearing it up.

Have ordered up all the bits in the UK as I really want to ride my bike! Except #10 (inline fuel filter) - anyone know a part # or UK source or Lunaticfringe - would you consider sending via a quickish service?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashBurnFly View Post
    Have ordered up all the bits in the UK as I really want to ride my bike! Except #10 (inline fuel filter) - anyone know a part # or UK source or Lunaticfringe - would you consider sending via a quickish service?
    paul: the mesh sock filter goes on suction side of pump....the metal inline filter goes on outlet/pressure side. the metal filter crosses over to a 1985-87 ford mustang. here are a few cross-reference filters that are identical:
    WIX 33095
    NAPA 3095
    DURALAST FF3330DL

i also HIGHLY RECOMMEND you replace the fuel level sensor while doing this job. if it isn't bad now it will be shortly.
    OEM PART # P0789.KA retails for $14. it is #4 in pic.
    lastly....look at pic....part #12. it is the ground screw. it's the main connection between the ecm and the pump. clean and tighten the hell out of it.

64471910.jpg

Check all your wires carefully for any rubbing. Here's a pic of mine that rubbed on through and caused false lo fuel level indications.

IMG_1649.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast