Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: XB9S – running very roughly – tried various fixes – need some expert help!

LunaticFringe - many thanks for the further advice. I have just ordered metal inline filter. Cant find a fuel level sensor yet in UK but will get one.

Reading through forum - mixed views on can you get a fuel pump out (2003 XB9s) with the swing arm installed if disconnected from the shock so it drops down?

Anyone able to confirm either way having done it?

Inactive
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashBurnFly View Post
    LunaticFringe - many thanks for the further advice. I have just ordered metal inline filter. Cant find a fuel level sensor yet in UK but will get one.

Reading through forum - mixed views on can you get a fuel pump out (2003 XB9s) with the swing arm installed if disconnected from the shock so it drops down?

Anyone able to confirm either way having done it?
    yes sir....always my pleasure and appreciate the acknowledgement which is extremely rare on here.
    YES....you simply remove the rear tire and the lower shock mount from the swingarm and drop the arm down to its lowest postion. see the vid below. it's the best i've found and the first 5 minutes or so show removal. every XB fuel pump has to be wiggled and cajoled a bit to come out but it will.
    when replacing it be sure to smear a light coat of either O-ring silicone lube OR chrysler style lubri-plate lube onto the 2 housing O-rings....then install. if not done the O-rings tend to tear when you slide the pump into the frame spar.
    if you can't source the fuel level sensor over in Olde Blighty let me know and i'll send you one over. USPS first class air is $14 to anywhere in the UK.

here ya go.....

LunaticFringe - many thanks again and thanks for the offer re the level sensor - just managed to get one in the UK - its a tiny thing. Got some silicon grease and all the other bits and just some carpentry to make a support for under the exhaust and I will be ready to do the job! The video makes it look straightforward. I will report back when its done.

IMO it is easier and much more stable to park the rear under an A-frame ladder and hold it up with a motorcycle ratchet strap to the pillion pegs. You don't even need a jack!

I didn't watch the vid, but you can use molded tinfoil for a makeshift funnel to drain the gas into a container and put painters tape on the swing arm to save from scratches

getting closer to fixing it and pre strip down test showed just 11psi (should be ~49psi) BUT - Got it all apart and the 2003 Buell fuel filter that I was sent is c50mm diameter - which is maybe what a later Buell uses and my one is just 1.25" Dia (c31.6mm) and the 50mm wont fit in the housing.

Anyone know the industry part numbers for an early Nov 2002 - so 03 model Buell XB fuel filter with a 1.25" dia fuel filter? Then I can try and source one quickly in the UK?
    Also the Orings on the OUT of the fuel pump look a bit iffy and none in my kit - so anyone know the dimensions as tried what I had in various boxes and none a snug fit.

I should be clearer - it is the metal canister filter on the pressurised side that I am needing - the one on the bike has an outer dia of 1.25" - important as it has to be this dia to slide into the housing. The replacement one I have is c50mm dia - so too big.
    The o rings are the ones fitted to the fuel pump outlet to seal it inside the regulator housing - see pic. with arrow showing ones on old pump and not looking their best.fuel pump o rings.jpg

The bike is fixed and running – it was fuel pump assembly related.
    Many thanks to LunaticFringe for your expert help.

So that others can benefit ... Symptoms – running so roughly it could not be ridden and no error codes and only clue was the AFV was 147.

So what was wrong? – The internal “teabag” filter was disintegrating but still passing fuel. The metal canister fuel filter was unblocked and still flowed OK. The pump ran OK – but noisy so suggesting internal wear and efficiency down. The hoses were all OK. The main issue was the O rings in the fuel regulator housing had broken up and so fuel pressure was being lost here and that with a tired out fuel pump dropped my fuel supply down to 11psi (max recorded) which was not enough to run the bike properly. The bikes computer detected the lean running via the O2 and whacked up the AFV to 147. With the new fuel pump AFV is now 102 and the bike is transformed.

So now all rebuilt. What have I learned/share. Buell XB’s have at least 3 different fuel pump assembly designs (I have bought a couple more as I was curious!) and they are all different. See pic.
    To get the fuel pump assembly out of the frame (without factory tool) put a bolt into extraction hole with a large washer on it and lever across it to engine case and simple.
    These 4 bolts had thread lock on and were stiff to get out so clean them up and re thread lock on assembly.

My bike is Nov 2002 XB9s and the fuel pump pushes directly into the regulator body. It uses 3 O rings to seal the join and these are no longer listed/available from Harley or anywhere. I have now sourced some and had to buy 100 – so if anyone needs some give me a shout. The regulator seals into the regulator housing with 2 O rings (large and small). They are a tight fit (need to be with 50psi of petrol) so easiest fitting is leave large O ring on reg body and remove small one and fit inside reg housing and use lube to make fitting it easier. The reg housing is plastic and after 17+ year living in petrol quite hard so hold it with something soft when you force the reg into the housing.
    Buell XB Fuel Pump types.jpg
    If you change the internal hoses as LunaticFringe says - use 5/16" fuel hose rated for submersion in fuel. Gates 27039 and ACDelco 32306 are 5/16" fuel hose that have the J30R10 specification.
    The metal clips that hold the hoses on are not really designed for 2nd use, but I am sure we have all reused such in the past. I fitted new ones as they are pence/cents each and not worth the risk.

Change the large O rings that seal the assembly to the frame and use silicon grease to get it to slide in more easily.
    The design of fuel pump assembly on my “03” XB is the longest of the types I have seen and so probably the trickiest to get in and out. You can do it with the swing arm in, but you have to use force and it will slide against the swing arm as you fight it in. Buell XB’s with tiny scratches here suggest a recent fuel pump swap!

On the outside of the fuel pump assembly is the external banjo coupling and this has 2 O rings of different sizes. They are available from HD. On my bike both O rings were brittle and fell apart. If they fail then you get petrol at 50psi onto your exhaust and rear tyre – so if your bike has not been touched – suggest you change these soon.
    Fuel filter. The metal canister one. The forum lists alternative part numbers for these and I bought a few and the external dia. is too large to slide into the housing. I ended up getting them from my HD dealer and they are only £5 each so suggest you get yours from HD also. I am in England – so you probably have more options in the US market.
    Earth/Ground. The pump earths via a black wire with a cross head screw to the assembly body. As Lunatic Fringe and others suggest – do this up very tight as if it comes loose then your pump will ultimately stop.
    Wiring routing. The forum has tales of chaffed wires and each of my fuel pump assemblies has different wiring, wiring thicknesses and routing – probably depending upon who was on the assembly line that day.
    Do all the pipe crimps away from the wiring and carefully position the wiring so it is not going to rub before refitting.
    Corrosion. On all 3 pump assemblies I have (so I suspect all Buell XB’s) corrosion is starting on the external housing in bottom right corner. Clean this up and add corrosion inhibitor as otherwise corrosion has a habit of pushing metal faces apart and eventually a fuel leak.
    So to rebuild your fuel pump assembly you will need:
    1. Fuel pump: Probably various that will do –but a Quantum www.highflowfuel.com HFP 361 will do. They are on eBay, Amazon etc. Harley does a complete fuel pump assembly but it is £400.
    2. Fuel filter metal canister: P0101.02A8 (£5) available from HD. The item is a Walbro 125-199 3291301
    3. Fuel filter “teabag”: Came with the fuel pump
    4. Fuel regulator which should come with 2 O rings: Unsure of the regulator part no as it came with the fuel pump but the regulator is marked as - 135-15 338 kPa 1533 IP
    5. O rings Banjo: P0198.02A8 (2 O rings - £18!) available from HD
    6. O rings Fuel pump out (depending upon type – maybe only on early c03 XB’s): Not available from HD – I have some if you need them.
    7. O rings – where assembly seals to frame: P0121.02A8A
    8. Low fuel level sensor: P0789.KA (£14) available from HD
    9. Fuel pipe: 5/16" fuel hose rated for submersion in fuel. Gates 27039 and ACDelco 32306 are 5/16" fuel hose that have the J30R10 specification
    10. Fuel pipe Clips
    11. Silicon grease

Thanks to all on the Forum for your help - Best regards Paul.

Thanks for the detailed write-up. This will be a big help to someone in the future.

Wow
    Killer write up and Lunatic for the rescue again.
    Jack-O-Lantern
    2006 Buell XBRS LightningBolt
    http://www.buellxb.com/forum/album.php?albumid=129

Will this kit from Quantum satisfy the criteria? Or are the parts in this kit other than the fuel pump non conforming?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182611568236?ul_noapp=true

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast