Thread: Advice on Titling a California 'salvage' title in Colorado

Advice on Titling a California 'salvage' title in Colorado

Looking at an 2008 Buell xb12Ss for sale by a wrecking/salvage yard in California. They told me they would sell it with a bill of sale and an "acquisition number". California requires a "dismantler" to retitle the bike regardless of condition, and in that process they apparently don't get an actual title. The original owner was an elderly lady who cleaned out her garage. The bike was kept under a blanket for nearly 8 years. It only has 1200 miles and appears to be in near perfect condition. Yes, I planned to have a mechanic service inspect it first.

I have done a VIN search and it shows everything as clean - save it is listed as "salvage". Shows just two owners - the original owner who bought it in September of 2008, and the junkyard who took some kind of title in January 2019.

Will Colorado accept this as a "salvage" title?

Why are you asking on here??????? Call you states DMV and ask them! I buy bikes one way and one way only........CLEAN PAPERS!

I am guessing this is it , I offered him $1500.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy...809449829.html

I saw that too and passed simply for the lack of re-sale from the salvage title. What a shame, it would probably make a really nice bike to keep and ride once you replace all the rubber bits.

Your question is really for the Colorado DMV. Most states that don't require inspection (like the east coast does), won't have a problem with a salvage title after a short inspection.

If you are worried about the re-sale, there are ways/places that can legally clean a title. They need to search for an insurance claim and stuff like that. Used to be easier, now it's more difficult. They used to automatically 'Salvage' a title on a lien sale, I'm pretty sure I'm the guy who got that changed here in Cali

If that's too hard to figure out, you can always buy a clean titled frame from e-bay and swap it. Not very hard to do, but make SURE to get the DMV to re-title with the correct engine number after the swap. I wouldn't feel too bad about doing that. The story seems legit.

But frankly, if you pay asking price (Tax), shipping, and frame, you might as well just get one for $5k near you.

thanks fellas. Yeah that bike in San Jose isn't worth more than maybe $1,500. Definitely not $3,200.

Colorado DMV policies are ridiculous. They won't take paperwork from Oregon. I passed on another bike because it would take 6 or more weeks to get a clean title from a dealership no less. Oregon doesn't require a perfected title with dealer listed as the owner. Colorado does. Plus, they no longer do same-day-titles. Instead you have to wait 4-6 weeks for processing.

A link to Bitcoin, Lunatic? I'd be curious to read whatever you are trying to post.

"They need to search for an insurance claim and stuff like that. Used to be easier, now it's more difficult. They used to automatically 'Salvage' a title on a lien sale, I'm pretty sure I'm the guy who got that changed here in Cali"

I am speaking from past experience. My experience.

Oversimplification alert:
    The intent of the law (that differs in every state) was to have the title of a vehicle that was re-built to be branded as such. In his case (and mine) a vehicle simply picked up by a scrapper or lien saled, (not re-built, and can be proven as such), should have it's title reverted back to clean. Heck, the place was next door to the DMV in San Pedro. Not exactly clandestine

If things have changed... C'est la Vie.