Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Any last ideas before I dive into the world of custom tunes?

Yugo you need the .msq file, aka map file (fuel/timing map only extracted from the EEPROM think 2D grid of TPS/RPM cell values) the only software that I know of that can extract this is ECMSpy ..XPR is a different format of the EEPROM and can easily be pulled with ECMDroid, but won't help you getting the correct file for inputting in MLV. Again without this file input in MLV the software is useless for its intended purpose of editing the fuel map (it is still very useful in checking sensor parameters). You must get your hands on ECMSpy or you have gone as far as you can.

You could also combine MLV/ECMSpy functions using TunerProRT as an all in one solution but you will need to devote months to learn how to do it all.

Host the files on Google drive then link what you want to share here, this is how I do all my file sharing on this forum.

I copied my most recent logs here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...uU?usp=sharing

I have been slowly picking away at this and was using MLV to verify that all sensors are working properly, corrections are being applied as expected, and to see how far off my base map is (at least as much as one can tell with a NB sensor). I would say that all sensors appear to be behaving as expected, and that my bike is much happier running a little richer than 14.7:1 at cruising.

I had planned to get ECMSpy Mono installed when I got to the point of needing to modify the tune, so it sounds like I am at that point now!

https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...l=1#post555607

The version that works with DDFI2 (2003-2007 XB's) is still available here^, combined with MegalogViewer you can do almost everything possible (TunerProRT still has all possible access to the EEPROM editing that we have access to) ECMSpy MONO is also a great choice and combines its own version of MegalogViewer analysis into ECMSpy as an all in one option, just keep in mind Gunter only designed it to work with 2 brands of WB if you decide to go that route... I would use that software if it wasn't for having an AEM WB already witch isn't one of the 2 comparable WB's it is made to work with.

On mine I noticed outliers in the timing map just off idle. I just smoothed those out and the bike has no more hiccup starting off. Always fun when that happens turning. worse when cold. I can cruise as low as 2200 rpm. Just to see how it ran. Around town I'm usually 2700-3200. (30-40mph)
    Now I swapped in another muffler. I'm getting some surging now as expected, as my AFV did go up. I only have a NB O2 so my map isnt too precise. I do have a dual WB's I need to install.

Quote Originally Posted by rb70383 View Post
    On mine I noticed outliers in the timing map just off idle. I just smoothed those out and the bike has no more hiccup starting off. Always fun when that happens turning. worse when cold. I can cruise as low as 2200 rpm. Just to see how it ran. Around town I'm usually 2700-3200. (30-40mph)
    Now I swapped in another muffler. I'm getting some surging now as expected, as my AFV did go up. I only have a NB O2 so my map isnt too precise. I do have a dual WB's I need to install.
    Do you care to post a screen grab of your timing table? Curious to see how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by yugo42 View Post
    I copied my most recent logs here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...uU?usp=sharing

I have been slowly picking away at this and was using MLV to verify that all sensors are working properly, corrections are being applied as expected, and to see how far off my base map is (at least as much as one can tell with a NB sensor). I would say that all sensors appear to be behaving as expected, and that my bike is much happier running a little richer than 14.7:1 at cruising.

I had planned to get ECMSpy Mono installed when I got to the point of needing to modify the tune, so it sounds like I am at that point now!
    I haven't had a chance to look through your logs yugo. I did see them up on the google drive.

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey View Post
    https://www.buellxb.com/forum/showth...l=1#post555607

The version that works with DDFI2 (2003-2007 XB's) is still available here^, combined with MegalogViewer you can do almost everything possible (TunerProRT still has all possible access to the EEPROM editing that we have access to) ECMSpy MONO is also a great choice and combines its own version of MegalogViewer analysis into ECMSpy as an all in one option, just keep in mind Gunter only designed it to work with 2 brands of WB if you decide to go that route... I would use that software if it wasn't for having an AEM WB already witch isn't one of the 2 comparable WB's it is made to work with.
    Awesome, thanks for the link! I didn't think that version was still available. I have to salute the bravery of the first guy to try out the software from that strange Russian site, but it seems to work fine. I didn't have much luck with my converted MSQ file in ECMSpy as it had some zero lines inserted in some weird places, so I'll have to bring the laptop out to the bike later and download the map directly into ECMSpy. Oddly the converted version worked in MLV.

Quote Originally Posted by rb70383 View Post
    Mine seemed to show some unexpected advance just off idle in the timing map too. I didn't get much time to look into it yet but just found it odd. I'm curious if your table looks like mine.

Yeah, the jumpiness on turns has me riding like a grandma around corners sometimes. Pretty sad to do on a bike that handles as well as these!

Quote Originally Posted by yugo42 View Post
    I didn't have much luck with my converted MSQ file in ECMSpy as it had some zero lines inserted in some weird places, so I'll have to bring the laptop out to the bike later and download the map directly into ECMSpy. Oddly the converted version worked in MLV.
    This sounds odd... explain your process for getting the .msq file. I've seen ECMSpy do something similar with .txt files from the internet. I'd suggest running windows signed in as administrator, then right click ECMSpy and choose run as administrator. Connect to the bike and fetch EEPROM then save both the EEPROM and MAP file to desktop. Open a second ECMSpy window and load just the MAP you just saved navigate both windows to the MAPS tab and compare the values match up. I'd also suggest emailing both files to yourself and uploading to you drive account so you always have the unmodified files to go back to even if you computer takes a **** down the road. On desktop I make a folder when doing datalogs and tuning sessions V1-V1.1 etc... this way I can go back if I hit a snag or pick back up where I left off if I can't get to it for a while. You will want to put the log file and the .msq file from each log then after analysis in MLV spits out a refined .msq and you edit the front to match stick that into V1.1 folder with the next log.

There is no reason to think the CL area can't be spot on to 14.7-1 AFR using the NB sensor and logging. If you wish to run richer for some reason you just need to multiply the CL cells (after dialed in to 14.7 with MLV!) by a percentage for your desired AFR the same as OL (105%) and WOT (110%) does, keep in mind if you do this you will have to keep the ECM in open loop from now on and you lose the ability for the ECM to correct for atmospheric changes AND safeguards for engine/sensor issues. You can go baro or map sensor to bring back ECM adjustment for changing conditions.

Best to just dial the CL area of the map in to 14.7-1 and enable CL again... if the bike doesn't behave well then you most likely have a mechanical issue...

You should see timing advance somewhere around 2200RPM IIRC on both stock and race eeproms if they are unmodified. 0 timing from 800 RPM until the jump. BUT also keep in mind there is temperature timing advice table multiplier that drops down to 0 at 160C again IIRC.

You will get the hang of it and understand the more you use the software reference the tuning guide AND the MONO user guide as combined they will have all the info needed.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast